to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC policy in dealing with persons without access to internet or telephone

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3558

FOI request which provides a number of useful documents which may help with dealing with vulnerable people -

- guidance on how to identify and record if a claimant has complex needs
- pre WCA which includes guidance on home visits, assisted digital, telephone claims, and agent by proxy
- support by telephone
- diagnosis of claimant capability and circumstances - adjusting work-related requirements

The support by telephone document highlights how reluctant they are to take a phone claim -

If there is overwhelming evidence to suggest that a claimant is digitally excluded (for example,  has no access to IT services), the agent should consider taking the claim but: 
- stresses the benefits and importance of claiming on-line, and
- emphasises that in the future, this type of interaction will be expected for all claimants

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

i again draw attention to that VAT case i linked last year some time….. HMRC was in breach of the HRA for trying to force people who for various reasons couldn’t use IT, to use IT.  i’ll have to find it again, but very useful as ammunition against the DWP on this issue and the claimants covered various scenarios that can arise (not including lack of funds, but including physical inability and non existent internet in remote rural location.

edited to provide the link again:

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKFTT/TC/2013/TC02910.html

[ Edited: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:04 am by ClairemHodgson ]