Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

CDLA/2260/2009 — HR Mobility if client can walk 50 mt but only once in a day

BeatriceC
forum member

Benefits Caseworker, Ely Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 20

“Background:
The claimant had a back problem which meant that on one or two days a week he was unable to leave his flat but rest of the time could get to his local shop, about 50 metres away, before the onset of severe discomfort.  However, any walking increased the pain in his back to the extent that, for the rest of the day, he was unable to walk at all.

A tribunal hearing his appeal against the decision on his claim for disability living allowance, decided that he was not entitled to either the care component or the mobility component at any rate and the claimant then appealed to the Upper Tribunal….”

I’ve just read the commentary on this new case and I have a feeling that it could be very useful. I can think of so many people who have this degree of impairment and have been refused HR mob. Does anyone else think that it could be one of the most useful recent decisions to quote?

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3792

cheers for this beatrice .... if others haven’t seen it yet, there’s a summary of and link to CDLA/2260/2009 in rightsnet briefcase @

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/briefcase/summary/higher-rate-mobility-component-where-claimant-could-only-walk-a-short-dista/

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

I do fair number of ME/CFS cases and this looks like it might be very helpful , Thanks Shawn and Beatrice!

anned
forum member

Welfare Benefits Worker, Hambleton CAB, N Yorks

Send message

Total Posts: 46

I have got HRM for ME/CFS cases in the past, but it’s been a bit hit and miss at times, so it’s good to have some case law to quote.