to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

how long would you wait?

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, CMH solicitors, Tyne And Wear

Send message

Total Posts: 186

won an appeal last year, and after some delay the DWP asked for a statement of reasons…no further communication (that was back end of september)

how long after that would you wait before safely closing the file?  i wonder as i had waited, as i thought, more than long enough before deciding to close it then, only to then get letter saying they had asked for the SOR…

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Have they paid the appellant yet?

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1324

i’ve been in this position in the past and have rung the tribunals service to see when/if SOR sent out.  if it’s more than a month after that and TS hasn’t received leave to appeal from DWP, prob safe to close file.

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, CMH solicitors, Tyne And Wear

Send message

Total Posts: 186

thanks all

and Pete, it was a LTAHAW case, we were appealing an overpayment decision re IS

Alan C
forum member

LSC Welfare Benefits Caseworker, North Wiltshire CAB, Chippenham

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Find a solicitor and threaten a Judicial Review it worked almost instantly for us a few years back.

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

Alan C - 15 March 2011 09:17 PM

Find a solicitor and threaten a Judicial Review it worked almost instantly for us a few years back.

Claire is a solicitor :-)

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

ros - 15 March 2011 01:01 PM

i’ve been in this position in the past and have rung the tribunals service to see when/if SOR sent out.  if it’s more than a month after that and TS hasn’t received leave to appeal from DWP, prob safe to close file.

That’s what i do.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Claire Hodgson - 15 March 2011 07:46 PM

thanks all

and Pete, it was a LTAHAW case, we were appealing an overpayment decision re IS

doh - i didn’t think of that!

I have had at least one case like this where although TTS sent out the notice the DWP were able to demonstrate that it had not been sent to the correct office (I suppose something similar to the principles set out in Hinchy might apply?) and the time limit was counted from the date it was recieved at the correct office. I must add that I did not personally continue with the case (I was ‘professionally embarassed’ after my client passed on information to me which would have been absolutely fatal to her case and then refused to let me disclose it.) so did not have any opportunity to ask that a judge declare the application for a set aside by the DWP as ‘out of time’

dbcwru
forum member

Darlington Welfare Rights, Darlington Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 114

Have you received a copy of the statement of reasons, is there anything they could challenge , has more than a month passed since date statement was issued. If no challenge has been made assume safe to close.