to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

DWP and Mental Capacity Act

ninja9girl
forum member

Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 36

I have a client where there is a Corporate appointee.  client requested DWP pay her money direct to her and remove LA from being the appointee.  DWOP carried out a home visit and have decided that the client has capacity to manage their own affairs and have removed the LA from their system as appointee.

Client was assessed as not having capacity under MCA and I’m pretty sure the visiting officer does not have a psychiatric qualification to assess someone under the MCA.

Has anyone else come across a similar situation.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

No, but capacity does vary with time in some circs so it might well be that on the day she did have capacity. Also capacity for appointeeship purposes may well not be Mental Capacity under the act.

edit… it isn’t Mental Capacity that’s the trigger for appointeeship; it’s being “unable to act” at reg 57 UC, PIP etc (C&P) regs which is a lot broader.

However… that DWP would conduct an assessment and revoke a corporate appointeeship without speaking to social services is dodgy in the extreme and I’d be discussing raising it as a Safeguarding issue with the relevant team.

[ Edited: 27 Jun 2017 at 04:46 pm by Dan_Manville ]
ninja9girl
forum member

Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 36

This a case of deputyship issued by the COP and capacity is as a result of a learning disability and she was assessed by a psychiatrist as part of the MCA which is required by the COP.  I cant see how they could have a legal right to remove a COP granted deputyship

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

ninja9girl - 27 June 2017 04:46 PM

This a case of deputyship issued by the COP and capacity is as a result of a learning disability and she was assessed by a psychiatrist as part of the MCA which is required by the COP.  I cant see how they could have a legal right to remove a COP granted deputyship

If there’s a deputy, rather than appointee I’d just raise the safeguarding. In my experience JCP jump a mile when the S word is pointed at them.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

ninja9girl - 27 June 2017 04:46 PM

indeed they can’t.  and i expect the CoP deputy has made an application to the court to haul the DWP before the Court to explain itself. i would, and would expect any deputy to do the same.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

ClairemHodgson - 27 June 2017 07:24 PM

i expect the CoP deputy has made an application to the court to haul the DWP before the Court to explain itself

Not sure if that’s an LA; hence I’d be agitating to that end.