Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DWP requesting reasons for PIP award

< 1 2

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

Dan and Mike had it right earlier up the thread. The rash of these statement requests is down to a) the influx of new POs who need bringing up to speed and b) the already existing and ongoing tug-of-war between the Department and HMTS about the former being able to understand the reasons for the latter’s decisions.

I know this because I had it from the horse’s mouth (a newly recruited PO whose previous employment as a backroom clerk at HMCTS the DWP considered to be ideal experience) in an ESA appeal hearing only a fortnight ago. I felt quite sorry for her as it goes. The case was so clear cut that if there’d been no PO I’m sure we wouldn’t have had to leave the room for the decision. Even so, at one point the (quite senior) judge asked me “if” the appeal were to be allowed on descriptor 1(a) whether they needed to go on to look at the other descriptors as 1(a) would also get the appellant into the support group? I had to remind him that a) the PO hadn’t yet had opportunity to question the appellant or make submissions and that b) given what the PO had already said about the Department’s new policy on SOR’s it might be as well for the tribunal to decide everything we’d put in contention. :) :)

Ed Pybus
forum member

Welfare rights worker for disabled children and families - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 40

We have been aware of this increase in Scotland. Interesting to note that it is across the UK.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

What amuses me is the philosophical stance already taken by the new POs. They lose a clear cut case; get a Sor and RoP which could not be any more clear cut and still vocalise something along the lines of tribunals being over generous; not really understanding the law and so on. Ultimately where this nonsense leads will be a further change to descriptors sadly.