to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Use and Occupation for UC Hosuing Costs

DDP
forum member

The Terrence Higgins Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 102

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could help with the below question.

- Tenant on tenancy agreement dies
- Brother who was not living there at the time of the death then moves in and now has his daughter living there. He wants to be put on the tenancy agreement but this has not been accepted by Housing association.
- Housing Association would only continue to let the brother stay if he was able to have the use and occupation rules applied so UC housing costs are paid. There is no right of succession.

The question is: To what point is someone eligible for UC Housing Costs when they are not on the tenancy agreement?

I am sorry I cant give more info on this, this is all I was told.

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

You can get UC Housing costs for rent payable under a ‘license’ agreement or ‘permission to occupy’.

In this situation where ‘use and occupation’ has been granted, a license is usually issued.  We have started to use the term ‘permission to occupy’ when confirming this status to UC to avoid confusion.  Ours are all being paid with minimal queries from UC.

So in your case the landlord needs to know that the law allows UC to include housing costs in this situation, but they will need to issue a license agreement and furnish it to UC and deal with any clarification requested before they will get confirmation that UC payable in this client’s case.