to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Function of Jobcentre Plus

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 630

We have just had the novel experience of having a client referred to us by Jobcentre Plus for help in finding employment!

Begs the obvious questions; What exactly is the Jobcentre’s function? And if they can’t help people into employment, what’s the point of their existence?

generalistadviser29
forum member

Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 24

Depending on the job coach- it’s an absolute joke.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

I have recently had referral from a local Jobcentre to help a claimant with an ESA appeal!

Although it was rather unusual I think it reflects quite well on the Jobcentre who, when they were faced with a claimant who is clearly unable to work or look for work but was nevertheless found ‘fit to work’ by ESA, took it on themselves to refer the person for help rather than impose a sanction.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 630

They could have referred the client internally for a re-assessment, surely? Or would that be more than their jobs are worth? (Off the record, I have been informed that JCP staff have been “warned off” making such referrals.)

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Pete, you’re not alone. Our local JC regularly signposts clients to us either for assistance with WCA appeals or, in the case of ESA clients, help with SG appeals or supersessions.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Benny Fitzpatrick - 17 August 2016 01:02 PM

They could have referred the client internally for a re-assessment, surely? Or would that be more than their jobs are worth? (Off the record, I have been informed that JCP staff have been “warned off” making such referrals.)

They did and it was refused!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Benny Fitzpatrick - 17 August 2016 01:02 PM

Many referrals (although we would say people have been signposted) from JCP locally where it’s believed the person ought to be in the Support Group. It’s often well meaning but misguided as the majority come nowhere near the SG. Immensely frustrating from a claimant perspective.

“But JCP told me…” and so on.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Yes, I agree, though I’d still much rather staff at local JC did signpost clients to us than not. At least there are some we can help (and it has resulted in a good relationship between us and some of the staff at the JC which is always a result).