to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC-Is anyone better off?

Geri-G
forum member

Welfare reform team - North Ayrshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 91

UC is coming into our area at end of April, for new single Job seekers of course. Did a few calculations based on our typical clients-and I found only a couple of groups better off.One person who works 24 hours a week, and a couple with a disabled child.Everyone else is worse off! Or only better off by a pound!

What happened to making work pay? Or has anyone found any other groups that will be better off under UC?

Ben E Fitz
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker, Manchester CAB Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 162

Tory ministers seeking re-election on a “punish the scroungers” ticket?

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

“Making work pay” is a euphemism for “We will ensure everyone who doesnt work have less than enough to live on”

Hence the ESA sanctions. Even the ill and disabled have to work. Or else….......

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

You cant really look at groups in Universal Credit to see if they’re better off or not.  There are many ‘types’  who are worse off on lower incomes under Universal Credit but who will be better off on higher earnings, for example.

There are too many factors for a simple grouping to work.  My modelling does seem to show that there are a lot of winners and many losers.  The only generalisation that I’d make is that there are more big losers than big winners.