to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Where are UC claims processed?

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

At the DWP UC presentation I attended today they were saying UC is processed within the the UC virtual caller centre network. in other words there arn’t physically separate caller centres and processing offices as with legacy JCP benefits. So if a claimant reports a change of circumstances by phone that will be actioned by a call handler.

I was finding this concept a bit difficult to grasp (IDS - “Peter, it’s because you don’t believe”). So if a claimant sends something in writing to the black hole in Wolverhampton how does it get to the appropriate virtual contact centre? Or will the IT system direct the work task to the in box of the next available UC processor, wherever they are geographically located, regardless of whether the task is generated by a phone call, an item of post scanned at post handling or dropped from the air like a ton of bricks (in the absence of email or fax!).

My understanding is that there will still be UC processing centres which deal with claims from specific geographical locations and they will be physically separate from where the virtual call handler is located (although there may be some co-location of these two functions?).

Please enlighten me!