to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

WFI while appealing

gayna phelps
forum member

Manager - The Benefits Shop, Dudley

Send message

Total Posts: 8

Has anyone had any joy with arguing that WFI should be waived or deferred whilst appeal ongoing?

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

on what basis?

gayna phelps
forum member

Send message

That they are too ill to attend - hence they’re appealing a rubbish decision!!

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Deferred maybe. You’d have to have good grounds because I’d say at a guess most people claiming ESA are ill.

I suppose the sticking point may come if there is evidence that the person goes to doctors/hospital appointments, shopping or other things.

The argument would be that the WFI’s take into consideration a persons illnesses.

A letter frm the GP might help. Similarly if the claimant attends the initial WFI the DWP may themselves regard deferment as appropriate

Defn28
forum member

eaga Advice Services (CLA)

Send message

Total Posts: 1

I advise clients to attend if they can or request in-home if they can’t and get medical evidence to prove. In many cases client’s have scored 15+ points and had ESA reinstated which is golden evidence to use in original appeal hearing. Original decision then supercedes latter.

Hope this helps :)

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

we were advised by JC+ regional office that WCA process will not start again (issue of ESA50) for at least 3 months following a sucessful appeal hearing. They are also considering whether WFI should be ‘suspended’ while an appeal is pending. We understand these procedural changes will be rolled out once agreed - possibly region by region?. These are only procedural changes and do not require legislation. It may be worth checking what the position is in your JC+ region. The cynic in me thinks this may be a way of JC+ coping with the sheer volume of ESA claims & appeals?!

gayna phelps
forum member

Send message

Thanks for replies - have Emailed contact at our local BDC for more info - will share with you all if useful!!!

iut044
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser, West Lancs Disability Helpline, Skelmersdale

Send message

Total Posts: 206

Our local JC+ has said clients have to attend work focused interviews whilst appealing.