Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Effective date of increase of award on renewal application.

Peter Newton
forum member

Advice Service Manager, Woodseats Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 5

My client is in receipt of the low rate mobility component. His award ends in November and he recently completed and returned a single-sheet DLA 580 renewal application form saying not much had changed since his last assessment. The department don’t appear to have sought further evidence but they have nonetheless increased the award to the low rate of both components. However the increased award will not be put into payment until the day after his current award ends.
  I suspect they may have made a mistake and intended only to renew the existing mobility component award partly because they appear to have no evidence on which to make an award of the care component, but also (and this is where I need advice) because if they were satisfied that the client is entitled to the care component based on whatever evidence they have looked at in connection with the renewal application, shouldn’t they have superseded the decision on his current award and paid the extra amount straightaway rather than waiting until the current award expires? Or would the client have had to instigate a supersession application himself for that to happen?

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

It is certainly common for the reverse to happen - a reduction in award not taking effect until the renewal date. Only in very obvious cases will a supersession downwards be made effective at once.