to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA Premiums

Nan
forum member

Generalist team - Hammersmith & Fulham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 155

If a person lives alone and gets DLA middle care should they get the Severe Disability Premium in the assessment phase?

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 487

yes - as long as meet income-based ESA conditions

splurge
forum member

Welfare officer - Peabody, London

Send message

Total Posts: 101

I have come accross this problem over and over again where both DWP and HB do not believe SDP can be payable with ESA. In fact it does make up the income based applicable amount for a lone client (or couple who could both have entitlement) with no non dependents or anyone claiming carers allowance.

Quickest way to deal with this is request an revision or appeal sighting ESA Schedule 4 Paragraph 6 of the ESA regulations and HB Schedule 3 paragraph 14 of the Housing benefit regulations.

Nan
forum member

Send message

Hi,

Thank you for this.

Nan
forum member

Send message

Hi,

My client has now appealed an ESA decision and been told he can’t get the Severe disability premium whilst appealing an ESA decision. Is this correct? He has been told he will get them backdated if he wins the appeal. I am not clear what would happen if he lost. This seems wrong to me as surely it is about his applicable amount not whether he is appealing an ESA decision.

help!!?

[ Edited: 22 Oct 2010 at 04:47 pm by Nan ]
seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 304

short answer - he should still be getting the SDP while appealing

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 487

It is not correct - the sdp has nothing to do with appealing - it sounds like they don’t know what they are talking about and are confusing it with the components (wrac or support) or qualifying for the enhanced disability premium on the grounds of support component.
They just need to send your client that form that confirms no-one receiving carers and living alone and they can pay.

Matthew Simpson
forum member

Caseworker, Eaga PLC, Newcastle

Send message

Total Posts: 44

My understanding is that during the appeal you are treated as in the assessment period.

Regulation 6 of the ESA Regs states “Where the period for which the claimant is entitled to an employment and support allowance commences and the claimant has made and is pursuing an appeal against a decision which embodies a determination that that claimant does not have limited capability for work, the assessment phase in relation to that claimant ends when the appeal is determined by an appeal tribunal constituted under Chapter 1 of Part 1 of the Social Security Act 1998(1).”

This to me seems to suggest that the claimant is still treated as being in the assessment phase therfore should still be able to get anything that they were entitled to before the decision was made. 

My understanding is that the only thing that won’t be payable are the components.

Can someone confirm this is correct

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

That’s always been my interpretation also.  It was certainly the case with IS pending the PCA appeal.  The reduction pending the hearing was 20% of the personal allowance with all applicable premiums paid.  I’ve seen nothing in the ESA regulations which departs from this approach, deliberately shutting out the payment of the premiums.

[ Edited: 22 Oct 2010 at 05:38 pm by nevip ]
Nan
forum member

Send message

I have now had a call back from Glasgow and they now agree with me so looks like SDP should be paid - my concern is that this can’t have been the first case where this has happened.