Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

child dla mc removed

nmbdial
forum member

DIAL Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Hi lovely people,

hope you can give me some help on this one please! long story short….DWP sent a letter to the parent re childs dla award asking for copy of CVI as he may be entitled to the high rate mob, child has been registered blind since birth and was on low mob, mid care, now aged 14. To sum up, it was an old style BD8, not eligible for high mob (fair enough) but have reduced mid care to low! Can they do this without any evidence other than the BD8?

Have adviced client to be referred for new visual acuity test and a new CVI to be issued as it could have possibly changed since the original BD8 was issued and obviously appealing the care decision, but I am astounded….anyone else come across this ?

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Probably the Disability carers centre trying their luck, hoping that as he will get more money by being on HRM then the claimant will accept a lower care award (and then simply go away). As long as it can be proved that his sight issues mean that his care needs fit the MRC criteria then the appeal should succeed. A Government “spokesman” on the Andrew Marr show the other week said that the DLA bill is too high and needs to come down. It isn’t the claimants faults that they meet the criteria laid down and from my very recent experience i believe that the DBC are being very “creative” in their decision making.