to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Benefit fraud ...

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Total Posts: 60

This is frustrating me, let me explain ...
I have a cl who is being prosecuted at Crown Court for benefit fraud.  DWP are stating cl. has assumed the identity of a person who is deceased and for this reason will not allow them to claim benefit under this name.  They are happy for cl to claim benefit under another name but will not divulge what this name is.
Has anyone got any ideas as to how i can have cl paid benefit under the name that DWP say they are not while the case is waiting to go to Crown Court ?
Thanks ...

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Michyblue - 14 October 2011 09:42 AM

This is frustrating me, let me explain ...
I have a cl who is being prosecuted at Crown Court for benefit fraud.  DWP are stating cl. has assumed the identity of a person who is deceased and for this reason will not allow them to claim benefit under this name.  They are happy for cl to claim benefit under another name but will not divulge what this name is.
Has anyone got any ideas as to how i can have cl paid benefit under the name that DWP say they are not while the case is waiting to go to Crown Court ?
Thanks ...

Hmmm…. I suppose if they paid him under the allegedly assumed name that would be an admission that they believe him to be the person that is allegedly assumed and therefore would scupper the case.

Likewise if said client claims as the person he allegedly actually is this would be an admission that he is said person and of guilt.

Tricky

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

Duncan - 14 October 2011 11:28 AM

He changes his name by deed poll and then claims benefit. Simples :)

... and what does he declare his previous name to have been?

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Hmmmmmmm ... interesting thoughts but I think they’re snookered ?
Thanks anyway.