to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

the archers

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, CMH solicitors, Tyne And Wear

Send message

Total Posts: 186

ok, not another area of law - but they seem to be starting a benefits story (surprised they haven’t had one before, that i can recall) - can clarrie claim JSA in her circs? that’ll be interesting if they pick up and run with it….

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

I didn’t realise they had sacked Clarrie - I’ll never buy their yogurt again! Perhaps they could get Neil B to come round, he’s often on Radio 4 anyway!

P.E.T.E
forum member

Head of Welfare Rights at Barnsley MBC.

Send message

Total Posts: 104

She wasn’t sacked, but laid off.  Shouldn’t be a sanction!

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

She seems a bit depressed, perhaps she should claim ESA

Val
forum member

Welfare Rights Co-ordinator, Aberdeen Welfare Rights, Aberdeen

Send message

Total Posts: 22

At last!  An Archers thread on Rightsnet.

Actually, she gave up her job voluntarily. 

She was told by JCP that she may not be entitled for this reason; so, so far they seem to reflecting the law, although Personal Advisers are not normally that brave!  I find people only find out this is a possibility when they get the letter!

Pity they couldn’t have done an IB reassessment story but nobody on the Archers claims sickness benefits.

Val

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

Constructive dismissal?

Val
forum member

Welfare Rights Co-ordinator, Aberdeen Welfare Rights, Aberdeen

Send message

Total Posts: 22

Her reason for giving up her job was because she was too upset to carry on after she caused the e-coli outbreak by returning to work too soon.  Interesting to see whether JCP would view that as good reason.  I hope Borchester has a Welfare Rights team.

It seems that, in Borchester, you don’t need to make a phone claim!  She went in on spec and was told she would need an appointment. 

Val

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Send message

Gareth Morgan - 27 September 2011 10:13 AM

Constructive dismissal?

no, fraid not.  pat actually didn’t want to sack her, despite pressure from others, but clarrie fell on her sword, metaphorically speaking…

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 618

And nobody ever gets housing benefit in Borchester, even though the rent may not be above LHA and the person is working in a care home, presumably on minimum wage.

Anyway Clarrie would easily win this one at Tribunal.  All she needs is a statement from her former employers.

As for ESA, well she would probably get it whilst on the assement phase but the ATOS examiner will hold her to be fit for work and award zero points on the mental health descriptors

[ Edited: 28 Sep 2011 at 06:00 pm by Stainsby ]
neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Sounds like a claim for JSA by a person who is using a false name.  Better call the National Fraudline.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

neilbateman - 28 September 2011 05:05 PM

Sounds like a claim for JSA by a person who is using a false name.  Better call the National Fraudline.

You mean that the Archers aren’t REAL!!!! My illusions are shattered.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

To paraphrase Betjeman, “come friendly bombs and fall on Ambridge”!

nevip
forum member

Send message

And as for Borchester.

“Mess up the mess they call a town-
A house for ninety-seven down
And once a week a half a crown
For twenty years”.

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Send message

Dan Manville - 29 September 2011 10:45 AM

Dear Shawn

As an avid listener to the Archers ON A SUNDAY MORNING I would posit that there should be something in the forum Ts & Cs preventing contributors from giving the plot away until the week after. I am sure it is offensive, abusive or somesuch… I think article 8 could well be enagaged!

Yours,

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

OTOH, it’s going to be an ESA claim and failed medical, probably with an appeal (I wonder how long the waiting time is at the Borchester venue). They might even be coming to Birmingham… I wonder if they need a cheeky northern rep?

I happen to know that one of the Archers script writers has a close association with a Welfare Rights practitioner who might just spot this… I’ve got some good references you know ;-)

Sorry dan

anyway, She hasn’t been anywhere near the doctors yet - Not sure Ambridge has had a doctor since Hathaway left, has it? and no one seems to fall ill except Elizabeth, and she goes to hospital and doesn’t ever claim any benefits even when she’s fully entitled to DLA ; joe doesn’t seem to have pension, let alone Pension Credit; no one seems to be on WTC or CTC, or if they are, they never have any problems with it…mmmm

nevip
forum member

Send message

“It isn’t fit for humans now,
There isn’t grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!”

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Joe has Farmers Lung so he should be getting Industrial injuries benefits as Farmers Lung is a prescribed disease under category B6 Sch. 2 of the SS (Gen Benefit Regs) 1982.

I think they need a welf!

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

Whoops…...........looks like we need to add another essential requirement to Juanita Banana’s job description list over in Most Popular Threads: ‘listening to the Archers essential’

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Send message

Pete C - 30 September 2011 08:47 AM

Joe has Farmers Lung so he should be getting Industrial injuries benefits as Farmers Lung is a prescribed disease under category B6 Sch. 2 of the SS (Gen Benefit Regs) 1982.

I think they need a welf!

he was never an employed earner, though, when he acquired his farmers lung - ran his own farm, remember?

and yes, i reckon they need a WELF, although Usha supposedly does family law and so should have some vague notion…...but wouldn’t do the work as she wouldn’t get paid for it, of course ....

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

Is Joe Grundy not really an imposter impersonating him in order to defraud the benefit system he must be older than Walter Gabrial. Come to think of it Walter was a bit dodgy as well claiming to be single but with Mrs P. a secret a partner. My old pal my old beauty.

nevip
forum member

Send message

This level of Archerism is all very worrying!

P.E.T.E
forum member

Head of Welfare Rights at Barnsley MBC.

Send message

Total Posts: 104

We all know that rural poverty is rife and much of it hidden.  I think Ambridge, with its tale of simple country farmong folk, is typical of many other villages and small communities that need help.  Perhaps the first step could be a take-up campaign centred on “The Bull”.  Followed by a second campaign in Emerdale

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

jan - 03 October 2011 03:18 PM

i shouldn’t wonder if we didn’t have another terrible massacre of the ferrets on our hands, the rate they be going…

Help!

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

I’ld do outreach in the Bull Its all hapening here. Elona is an Albanian working low paid in the laurels care home. Married to a British husband with a rather natty way with Jack Woolley, she’s already turned down a cheaper rent and extra work. She is roumoured to do something nasty with Peggy. Not that ther are sterotypes in Ambridge. Here partners a low paid Carpenter witrh two daughters. It’s not clear if she has a R2R and if the claims for housing and council tax benefit and tax credits are correct.

nevip
forum member

Send message

I can’t take any more of this.  I’ve called the Crisis Team but they still haven’t arrived.  I’m getting anxious now.  It’s been more than two minutes.  Where are they?  I can feel myself going, going.  The dark black clouds are coming down.  I feel like I’m knocking on Heaven’s door.  All is lost.  Farewell Rightsnet!  Farewell! 

Who said “pull yourself together?”  How dare you.  You don’t know what I’ve had to put up with.  Ambridge this.  Archers that.  It’s enough to drive a person to drink.  Ah!  Now there’s an idea.  I better cancel the crisis team first.  Tomorrow’s a new day.  A new dawn.  Maybe we can start with the trials and tribulations of Mrs Dale’s Diary?

Now don’t get me started.