Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

What sections/paragraphs of the Decision Makers Guide deal with backdating the Disabled Child Element of UC

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Hi,

My service-user has had a message put on her UC journal that the DCE cannot be backdated to the date of award only from the date we notified. Does anyone know the sections/paragraphs of the DMG that deals with this so I can quote it in my complaint?

Thanks,

Jim

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

A4361 and regs referred to therein.

But you are probably corresponding with a case manager who lacks the authority to backdate the award. They need to refer the matter to a decision maker to consider backdating.

NAI
forum member

Unclaimed Benefits Campaign, Middlesbrough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 131

Chapter 2, Regulations 8 and 12 of the Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payment, Jobseeker’s Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance (Decisions and Appeals) Regulations 2013.

REGULATION 8:

“Introduction

8.  A decision of the Secretary of State under section 8 or 10 of the 1998 Act may be revised at any time by the Secretary of State in any of the cases and circumstances set out in this Chapter.”

REGULATION 12:

“Award of another benefit

12.  Where—

(a)the Secretary of State makes a decision to award a benefit to a claimant (“the original award”); and

(b)an award of another relevant benefit [F1or [F2Scottish disability benefit]] or of an increase in the rate of another relevant benefit [F1or [F2Scottish disability benefit]] is made to the claimant or, in the case of universal credit, to a member of their family, for a period which includes the date on which the original award took effect,

the Secretary of State may revise the original award.”

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Thanks both. This is very helpful from both of you.

Jim