Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Targeting claimants who will be affected by the LHA cuts

Madamejones
forum member

Benefits Take Up officer - Cheltenham Borough Council, Gloucestershire

Send message

Total Posts: 44

Hi

I am a benefit take-up officer based in my LA’s Housing Options Team. Our housing benefit department have written out to all those that will be affected and they have put my details on the letters. I have written out separately to the 4 and 5 bed claimants who will be affected by bigger shortfalls once their 9 month protection ends. Not sure yet about all the under 35’s!!

When people are approaching the housing options team, because they are not managing their shortfalls, I am giving them an affordability form where I check they are getting all they are entitled to and also giving them advice about how to manage their finances in order to stay in the property or in some cases, we will need to help people find cheaper, alternative accommodation.

At a recent meeting councillors have said merely writing out to claimants is not enough as they are not taking the info in and the consequences of what will happen seriously. They want me - a one man band - to do more than this.

Are any of you doing anything different/more to make claimants act now rather than wait until they are in arrears???

Robert Haigh
forum member

Assessment Team, Lewes District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 24

We have written out to the claimants affected much as yours has.

As we are a small authority our manager decided rang all the 5 bed claimants to explain things because there were so few.

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 82

Good to see my local council taking a proactive approach.  Well done chaps.  It shows that you can administer benefits with humanity.