to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

prescribed disease A11 VWF

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

my client says he worked many years in concrete making but DWP have said this does not fit the prescribed use of tools for A!!, my client used a wide r of power tools etc , he want to appeal, not sure how to put his case forward

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

Prescribed disease A11 requires that the work involved one or more of:

(a) the use of hand-held chain saws on wood; or

(b) the use of hand-held rotary tools in grinding or in the sanding or polishing of metal, or the holding of material being ground, or metal being sanded or polished, by rotary tools; or

(c) the use of hand-held percussive metalworking tools, or the holding of metal being worked upon by percussive tools, in riveting, caulking, chipping, hammering, fettling or swaging; or

(d) the use of hand-held powered percussive drills or hand-held powered percussive hammers in mining, quarrying, demolition, or on roads or footpaths, including road construction; or

(e) the holding of material being worked upon by pounding machines in shoe manufacture.

Your client should know whether he used those tools or not.

Your client also ought to note that A11 almost never results in an award on its own (see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/entitlement-to-benefit-and-medical-assessment-within-the-iidb-scheme-iiac-information-note/entitlement-to-benefit-and-medical-assessment-within-the-iidb-scheme-iiac-information-note#appendix)

IIDB cases are often best dealt with by the relevant trade unions.

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

Thanks Elliot, I will check if he is a Union member, and also get a better history of what tools he used , he has until next week to appeal !!!!!