to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

HB for 2 homes, client in Rehab

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 321

my client is due to go into long term medical rehab for addictions, he gets UC now with a housing element for rent, the charity providing the Rehab provider has told me that they expect my client to pay over all his UC to cover their rent and living expenses costs, they say most of their clients end up giving up their tenancies when they go into Rehab, this seem unreasonable to me as my client will leave Rehab homeless and would have to pay storage costs for all his possessions while he is in Rehab !!!!!
Can my client get HB for his own tenancy and for the Rehab rental costs, ?????
I was not impressed with the rehab charity staff who seemed to have little knowledge and even less interest

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 622

HB wont cover 2 homes long term in these circumstances

Its a long shot but if your client was referred to rehab via the NHS it could be possible to get NHS funding

https://www.ukat.co.uk/rehab-treatment/nhs/#:~:text=While%20outpatient%20addiction%20treatment%20is,drug%20rehab%20or%20NHS%20services%3F

Peter Donohue
forum member

Salford Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 58

not sure precisely what circs and issues this query precisely relates to???

My understanding is that if your client is already in receipt of UC which already includes a Housing Costs Element (HCE)  in respect of the rent on his current tenancy, then his UC and the HCE will continue to be paid when he goes into Rehab (for up to the usual 6 months as this is classed as a “temporary absence” in the usual manner as long as there is an intention to return UC regs sch3 para 9).

However, beyond 6 months, his UC will not normally cover his rent.

However, a DHP may be applicable if the absence goes beyond the 6 months to help cover (or even fully cover) the cost of the tenancy during the continuing absence.

During the actual period of the Rehab/when living in the rehab facility, his UC would not include any Housing costs in respect of the rehab placement itself as such costs are usually covered either by the NHS, a charity or (possibly) by the local authority in terms of its community care duties in certain cases.

Also - and in any event - UC would not pay for the rent on “two homes” in these circs as the placement in rehab is NOT one of the limited ways UC can usually pay for “rent on two homes” (ie delay awaiting adaptations of a second home or living elsewhere due to fear of violence -UC regs sch3 paras 5 & 6).

Expecting a resident in rehab to pay for their living expenses (but not for the “rent”) using their UC whilst they are living and residing in the rehab facility is not necessarily - in itself - unreasonable ....but that is not the same as paying specifically for the accommodation costs (ie the rent) but, rather, for things like food, other services and living expenses (which is - after all - what UC is generally meant to cover).

Hope that helps a bit.

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 321

thank you for the info, the charity staff informed me that my client would probably have to give up his tenancy as they want his UC to pay for their expenses, all sounds very strange, I needs to speak to someone more senior in the charity I suspect, Its a quite big organization support by the Notts County Council