Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Transitional element calculator?

1 2 3 >  Last ›

metahome
forum member

Citizen's Advice Reading

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Just wondering if some clever soul has created a calculator or spreadsheet to calculate the value of a transitional element (and show the workings that generated it) based on a client’s existing legacy bens.

Would be very handy but I can’t seem to find anything that does the job yet. None of the usual bens calcs (entitledto, turn2us etc.) seem to have this yet but I would be delighted to be corrected if I have missed something.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Sorry, can’t help with the calculator but the issue of how transitional protection is calculated came up last week at the Nawra workshop on managed migration and I was staggered to hear that DWP don’t include any details to show how they have calculated TP when moving across to UC.

This is something that we should push them really strongly on because whether it is done manually or automatically, the DWP should be providing individuals affected with sufficient information to understand whether their new UC entitlement has been worked out properly.

Think there is an OSEF meeting this morning but I’m not able to attend. Maybe Daphne or someone could highlight this?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1418

This is NOT a transitional protection calculator, but it does show illustrative amounts based on a client’s circumstances, so may be useful to some people.

The illustrative legacy benefit calculation is only for in-work claimants (or, at least, those not entitled to IS/JSA/ESA).

No responsibility accepted for any calculations produced!

File Attachments

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 13 June 2023 09:35 AM

Sorry, can’t help with the calculator but the issue of how transitional protection is calculated came up last week at the Nawra workshop on managed migration and I was staggered to hear that DWP don’t include any details to show how they have calculated TP when moving across to UC.

This is something that we should push them really strongly on because whether it is done manually or automatically, the DWP should be providing individuals affected with sufficient information to understand whether their new UC entitlement has been worked out properly.

Think there is an OSEF meeting this morning but I’m not able to attend. Maybe Daphne or someone could highlight this?

I had it on my list but Clara (from Age UK) got in there first with it - presumably you mentioned it to her too Paul ?- they just took it down to take away, but I’ve got it to raise at the Move to UC meeting too ( in a couple of weeks)

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Daphne - 13 June 2023 11:59 AM

I had it on my list but Clara (from Age UK) got in there first with it - presumably you mentioned it to her too Paul ?- they just took it down to take away, but I’ve got it to raise at the Move to UC meeting too ( in a couple of weeks)

Thanks Daphne, I did indeed ask if Clara could raise it, so at least we can see what the response is and go from there.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Our calculators all work out legacy and UC figures so, at first sight, the calculation seems simple.  It isn’t.

There a number of factors which really need to be taken into account to check, or advise, on TP and migration.
a) Are the legacy benefits correct
b) Is the UC calculation correct
c) What about CTB
d) What would change if the date for UC application was different
e) Etc. etc.

If someone is in the ‘window’ (more of a black hole really) then there is no escape but there may be some less-bad choice available.  For a calculator then you need to identify the relevant earnings and other figures on each day during the period to see how to maximise the TP figure.  Even that may not be enough as you’d also, ideally, want to know the UC figures for following APs as well, to identify when / if erosion might happen.

Reckoners, like our UC earnings and rental period calculators can help but even they work on an already set claim date.  Running an assessment across multiple possible claim dates is computationally possible but getting the data might be asking too much from most claimants.

In short; what’s needed is a tool to advise people when to transfer but in practice the best in reality might be something to check that TP has been calculated properly.  Even that will probably need to assume that legacy benefits were right in the first place.

Anna S
forum member

Turn2Us

Send message

Total Posts: 16

What Gareth said:

Plus, you need to be able to check for changes of circumstance since migration which can end TP, and changes which erode TP.

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 318

Just picking up on this thread re the calculator. I havent found anything - but was wondering if anyone has any sample calculations (more around people in work; self employed and showing changes that erode the TP. Just trying to get my head around it all (im getting too old for this!) (very cheeky I know)

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 369

Apparently QBC are not including a function to calculate managed migration, because DWP haven’t confirmed the details of how they are doing it.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

That’s about were we are too.  A number of prototype versions but nothing definitive.

Charles
forum member

Send message

I have now made a spreadsheet calculator which calculates the transitional element for tax credit only cases.

If anyone would like a copy, do let me know (although it could still do with a lot of testing!).

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Yes please.

Hull WRS
forum member

Hull Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 25

Yes please Charles

PCarysforth
forum member

Money Advice Jigsaw Homes Group

Send message

Total Posts: 9

yes please!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

Charles - 24 October 2023 08:51 PM

I have now made a spreadsheet calculator which calculates the transitional element for tax credit only cases.

If anyone would like a copy, do let me know (although it could still do with a lot of testing!).

Happy to make it available via the site if that would be helpful Charles?

Cheers - Shawn

Charles
forum member

Send message

I’ve PM’d everyone, except PCarysforth - for some reason it isn’t going through to you. If you PM me your email address, I’ll forward it that way.