to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Travel time to PIP assessments

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

I am sure that I recall guidance to assessment providers being clear that claimants would not be expected to travel more than 90 minutes by public transport, however searching this morning, I can’t seem to find anything to confirm this. Does anybody remember seeing this and recall where it came from?

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

Carri
forum member

CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 51

Only just come across this thread, but it’s also in the PIP Handbook:

‘We have asked the assessment providers to ensure that claimants travel no more than 90 minutes (single journey) by public transport to their assessments.’
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-fact-sheets/pip-handbook

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

The thing to remember is that their respective booking systems don’t look at geography. They just look at immediate availability. I’ve had GM clients booked for Sheffield, Leeds and Liverpool but what they’re really looking for is claimants to call them and they’ll happily rearrange closer to home. Never had an issue with that tbh. The one call usually sorts it.

Where it hasn’t then reference to the guidance and a detailed analysis of how most “under 90 minute” journeys by public transport are nothing of the sort allied to a request for a RA under EA 10 usually sorts it.