to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  The Social  →  Thread

Wordsmiths

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 334

Who writes this? Honestly, this takes the biscuit. Soggy, disgusting biscuit.

In today’s Touchbase: “This week the Department for Transport (DfT) launched Creatures of Habit, the latest burst of the ‘it’s everyone’s journey’ (IEJ) transport accessibility campaign.”

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I’m currently getting 503 errors for all 3 links within the Touchbase article so can’t comment.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Accessed it now thanks Jo. I despair really.

We live in a world where the belief is you can market or communicate yourself out of anything. What a fine example this is both in terms of the language and the mind set.

“Yes we know that physical accessibility and reliability are issues but really we could solve this if everyone was nice and understanding.” I’m not sure they have any insight into how genuinely arrogant and offensive that is. Accessibility is the problem of those with long term health conditions or disabilities and the people around them. Actually, accessibility issues persist because government would rather spend more distributing blame and tackling soft stuff where improvement is rarely tangible or even measurable than tackling physical and other environmental accessibility issues. 

Similar to be seen with regard to the Disability Confident Scheme - a scheme in which you can be rewarded just for being interested whilst not actually employing any disabled people - and so on. I am over-simplifying there obviously but that’s what it comes down to.

We do of course now live in the world where the minister for disability has never heard of the social model. My thoughts on that are as close as I will ever come to swearing on here.

[ Edited: 10 Oct 2022 at 01:22 pm by Mike Hughes ]
Jo_Smith
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 10 October 2022 01:20 PM

We do of course now live in the world where the minister for disability has never heard of the social model.

wait…WHAT?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Read it and weep.

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/new-minister-for-disabled-people-on-the-social-model-cost-of-living-and-jobs/

Literally said she was “not aware” of the social model.

Totally explains stuff like the Touchbase article.

I’m just waiting for her first reference to the Disability Discrimination Act…