to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Conditionality and sanctions  →  Thread

Claimant Commitments and GDPR

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

In a recent meeting with DWP to discuss conditionality and people with illnesses/disabilities, I commented that the few Claimant Commitments I’d seen were full of what the person should do and heavy with threats of sanctions, but there was not one word on what DWP would commit to provide ‘tailored support’ -  and also not one word about the restrictions on the claimant caused by their condition.

I was advised that such ‘personal information’ cannot be included in the CC, owing to the provisions of GDPR. I’ve asked for full details of what section of GDPR forbids this.

Is this correct? Seems somewhat lacking in balance to me, all advantage to the DWP, and makes a mockery of the CC.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

So a person cannot see information which is both required in law (well, case law) nor information which they themselves will have provided.

What utter nonsense. People blame GDPR just as they blamed the DPA before it. As a lay person and as a WRO when confronted with this I would always do as you have done and ask for specific identification of which section. Never yet had a response bar one comedian who put together an almost convincing response citing sections and paragraphs which simply didn’t exist.

That one, needless to say, was actually someone from the DWP.