Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Gateway on the Benefit Enquiry Line

LadyP
forum member

Outreach worker - South Staffs Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 23

Just have to let off steam…

Called the BEL this morning to request a DLA form for a client. Haven’t used it for a few weeks as I don’t always call and sometimes just give the number to the client so they can ring.

So first of all I have to wade through lots of pre-recorded info about looking on the website etc, which took far longer than I remember. I’m finally given the option to press 1 to request a claim pack but when I do speak the adviser I’m not asked the standard “has this person applied before/how old are they”, but the lady on the phone starts asking what type of illness the client has and how long have they been/will be ill for. Went along with this to start with, but once she started asking whether they needed help from another person with their personal care I decided enough was enough and explained we wanted a claim pack and client would include all the relevant information in that. Adviser persisted with the questions for a while, but after I had asked her a few times whether she was unable to just send me a claim pack she did finally agree.

Now I can understand asking a few basic questions to make sure client is requesting the form they need, but to me this felt soooo much like gateway-ing, and effectively asking the client to justify their DLA claim over the phone; I wonder what the advice to the client would be if they didn’t seem to have the right sort of mobility/care needs? “I’m sorry, you don’t sound like you qualify so there’s no point applying and you can’t have form…” At what point did BEL staff become DM’s? And how many clients would assert their request?

Just feel this is really outrageous! And obviously will be calling myself for all forms in the future..

Rant over. Feel better for sharing.

Sarah

LadyP
forum member

Outreach worker - South Staffs Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 23

That would be great Simon. The email address is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Thanks a lot
Sarah

Dolge
forum member

Senior adviser - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 49

Don’t know if it works in other areas but we always use the local Disability Benefits Centre (Bootle round here) to request forms rather than national ‘help’ lines. They send them out promptly, no questions asked. Good service so presumably the DWP will be looking to end it.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

So do we, never a problem.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

The checklist for DWP staff to weed out “nugatory DLA claims”, as they call them, is linked here.

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 231

This BEL practice sounds worryingly like that adopted by the Revenue in relation to tax credits claims.

In order to obtain a tax credits claim pack someone has to ring the Tax Credits Helpline and then undergo a previous years income etc Q & A session with the Helpline Adviser who carries out a computer led calculation as to their potential entitlement.

If the Helpline Adviser concludes they will not be eligible they inform the person of this and that a claim pack will not be sent.

It is only if the person nevertheless “insists” that one is sent that a claim pack will be posted to them.

Clearly things can go wrong with this process including the possibility that someone’s entitlement to the WTC disability element, for example, is not correctly identified.

Does anyone know if tax credit claim packs are still freely available elsewhere - CABS perhaps or even Jobcentre Plus?