to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Inclusion of War pension for CSA calculations

CAB Cornwall (Truro)
forum member

Truro Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 1

I have a client who is receiving a war pension, he is now a civilian and is in full time employment. He has recently seperated and has a 2 year old daughter. The CSA have completed a calculation and confirmed that they have included his war pension as income with no disregards. The clt feels this is unfair as his war pension is fully disregarded for HB/CTB purposes ( but I’m aware not all councils have this policy) and his war pension is non-taxable (so is also not counted for tax credits). I am struggling to find any mention of war pension income with regards to the CSA so I am not even sure if this is correct. Can anyone suggest where I can find this out?

John
forum member

Financial wellbeing manager, Housing 21, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 52

I’m not sure how War pension income is used in CSA calculations but for benefit calculations there is a statutory disregard of £10.00 and then any amount above this is taken into account as income.

For HB/CTB purposes, local authorities have to apply the statutory £10.00 disregard and they then have discretionary powers as to how to treat the rest of the War pension. Most local authorities disregard it in full but as you’ve said, some don’t.

I’ve come across the situation in the past where a benefit department were treating the War pension as a private pension and it was only when we pointed out the difference between a War pension and a private or works pension that they reassessed the claim so it’s always worth checking that side of it as well.