Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

New benefit cap earnings threshold and new benefit rates 2024/25

bristol_1
forum member

WRAMAS Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 241

Hi all

As I understand it, the new financial year’s benefit rates apply to a UC claim from the first full assessment period from Monday 8th April. Client’s UC AP runs from 5th - 4th each month so I anticipate that her UC award would be uprated in AP 5th May - 4th June, with payment on 11th June. Client is currently benefit capped.

The new minimum wage rates apply from 01 April 2024, which makes the benefit cap earnings exemption threshold £11.44 x16 = £793.17pcm from 1st April.

Does this mean that the UC AP 5th April - 4th May would have the current year’s benefit rates, but the new earnings threshold for exemption from the cap?

TIA

bristol_1
forum member

WRAMAS Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 241

Just going to answer my question after looking at regulations, see para 5 reg 82 of UC Regs 2013 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/376/regulation/82

Yes the new minimum wages coming into effect on 1 April means that the earnings exception for the benefit cap will be calculated with reference to the rate applicable in any assessment period starting 1April onwards.

John Mesher
forum member

Author/researcher

Send message

Total Posts: 19

I’m afraid that anyone looking up reg.82 in Vol II of the Sweet & Maxwell legislation books will find that the amendments made by SI 2020/611, including the introduction of para (5), are not there. This will be corrected in the next main edition. Mistakes like this, once made, tend to perpetuate themselves, so that the editors of the books are always grateful to anyone who spots an error or omission and does not just go tut, but takes the time to let them know about it.