Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

overpaid Income support £50.000

< 1 2

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

Mike many thanks that’s excellent, I have done a few living together cases, I know dwp use facebook a lot to see what the ‘couple’ are showing the social media world ,photos of them on holiday etc etc,
my most dodgy was where the ex partner was still putting his wages into my clients bank every month , took that one to the UT who rightly found in my clients favour , the first tier being a bit too traditional in their outlook on relationships in the 21st century.

my main problem now is trying to get the one year old MR open again if poss, client has destroyed all the letters from DWP and it around April last year when she says she asked for an MR
my colleague sin the debt advice are pushing for the client to go bankrupt but it seems a bit drastic to me if she has a case

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Diogenes - 29 February 2024 02:12 PM

my colleague sin the debt advice are pushing for the client to go bankrupt but it seems a bit drastic to me if she has a case

your colleagues in debt advice need to have a word with themselves, this is still an alleged overpayment and it’s very concerning if you’re seriously saying that’s what they’ve recommended. Quite concerned about some of the approach to advice here, this isn’t a game, it’s real people’s lives and livelihoods at stake.

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

Yes I agree, it certainly is not a game, I would always challenge an overpayment rather than throw in the towel and go for a DRO or bankruptcy, but of course its always the clients choice