to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Is Orwellian the right simile?

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 470

Recon in July, 3 attempts to make it on a closed claim, finally do an SAR for the file to secure the fact that we’d made the request only to reveal that the recon had been raised with the first request.

Complaint in October disappeared into a black hole.

A further complaint early Jan this year; the reply comes back saying “we can’t deal with your complaint until we’ve done the recon you’ve complained about because we haven’t done it” or similar.

MP’s involved but UC don’t care about MPs these days; they’re a law unto themselves.

I need a drink!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I have similar. MP gets back “You should do a waiver referral form and an MR”. They have had copies of the ones I made earlier which also fell into that amazingly large black hole.

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

Dan Manville - 30 January 2024 01:43 PM

Recon in July, 3 attempts to make it on a closed claim, finally do an SAR for the file to secure the fact that we’d made the request only to reveal that the recon had been raised with the first request.

Complaint in October disappeared into a black hole.

A further complaint early Jan this year; the reply comes back saying “we can’t deal with your complaint until we’ve done the recon you’ve complained about because we haven’t done it” or similar.

MP’s involved but UC don’t care about MPs these days; they’re a law unto themselves.

I need a drink!

I think it’s more like the Looking Glass world.  Jam every other day.

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

Failed third world state-ian. Those employed in a government department don’t understand what their jobs are, don’t understand the law they are supposed to be applying and in the few instances they do understand, don’t care about what the law says. They don’t do their jobs - and those who understand the way that things work don’t really expect them to. Only it’s somewhat worse; due to the need to cling onto a veneer of propriety, you can’t bribe them to do their jobs either.

Maybe a less long-winded simile would be Peaceian? “This is the DWP - we do what we want!”