to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

new style jsa , self employed earning, intermittent

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

my client is self employed, gets work intermittently, he is claiming ns jsa and has a UC claim but no UC in payment due to income from jsa , he is in a couple an they both get jsa contribution based ,
questions, ho w ill his intermittent wages of say £100 for a job affect his JSA, will it stop for just a week or will it be apportioned over a longer period, ???

[ Edited: 22 Aug 2023 at 02:44 pm by Diogenes ]
UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 207

I think you will find the answer here .....
New businesses
27069 A person may start up a new business
1. at the same time as claiming JSA or IS or
2. whilst in receipt of JSA or IS.
The DM should consider if that person has started remunerative work.
27070 If the work is not remunerative work no income should be taken into account until the S/E earner starts to receive actual earnings. When the frst payment of earnings is received the DM should use the assessment period
1. starting on the frst day of the beneft week in which the person started S/E and
2. ending on the last day of the beneft week in which actual earnings are received.
27071 The assessment period should be extended every week or month until a yearly assessment is possible (see DMG 27062). In most cases this procedure will provide the most accurate determination of a S/E earner’s earnings (but see DMG 27072).

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1151723/dmgch27.pdf

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

Thanks UB40, I think they wee employees last year sand starting self employment now so your answer seems to cover it
Regards