Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

HMRC TC intermediaries line - not available?

1 2 > 

J Bathie
forum member

Family Finance Adviser, Money Advice Unit, Herts CC

Send message

Total Posts: 36

Hope all had a good break and here we are again.

I was trying to contact the TC intermediaries helpline on Friday 23rd and the usual recorded message plays then says “thank you for calling - goodbye”.

Same again today.

Didn’t see anything to say what their closure was over the Xmas period so assumed just the bank holidays - does anyone know about this?

[ Edited: 28 Dec 2022 at 01:05 pm by J Bathie ]
juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 125

Hello
I believe a lot of the DWP/HMRC offices have an extra day - effectively the Bank Holiday Tuesday - but as Xmas day fell on Sunday then Tuesday was the new Sunday. So they get Wednesday as well. They should be back in tomorrow.
Pre 1/4/2003 many local authority staff also had the Bank Holiday Tuesday. It was then removed and replaced with five days leave to be taken when you wish.

J Bathie
forum member

Send message

Hi Julie

Thanks - yes I started in LA back in 1995 so I recall - but I was surprised by no answer on Friday - and also no recorded message on intermediaries announcing when they would reopen.

Will try again tomorrow

J Bathie
forum member

Send message

Tried yesterday and again today - the message plays in full (re diverse team etc) and says, “please stay on the line we will put you through to the next available adviser” - then “thank you for calling - goodbye”.

The last time this happened it was human error - switching the phones off

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

For what it’s worth I phoned them the week before Xmas and they answered straight away so hopefully will work for you next week.

J Bathie
forum member

Send message

Tom B (WRAMAS) - 30 December 2022 01:55 PM

For what it’s worth I phoned them the week before Xmas and they answered straight away so hopefully will work for you next week.

Thanks Tom

Unfortunately not working today either.

I sent an email via the contact us on revenuebenefits but got (quite reasonably) their out of office replies.

On the 30th I tried the normal helpline and gave up after 30 minutes on hold.

Happy New Year!

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1418

Try the agent line, they should be happy to speak to you.

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

J Bathie - 03 January 2023 02:44 PM

Thanks Tom

I sent an email via the contact us on revenuebenefits but got (quite reasonably) their out of office replies.

Happy New Year!

We have picked this up from Rev Ben and have raised with HMRC - i’ll post an update as soon as we hear back.

J Bathie
forum member

Send message

LITRG - 04 January 2023 09:24 AM
J Bathie - 03 January 2023 02:44 PM

Thanks Tom

Happy New Year!

We have picked this up from Rev Ben and have raised with HMRC - i’ll post an update as soon as we hear back.

Thanks - we used to have an escalation point within HMRC one of our team managers was able to use but that was lost pre-pandemic so I imagined you were the best people to contact

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 470

I’d completely forgotten there was an intermediaries line; so rarely do I deal with Tax Credits. Would anyone care to message me with the number?

Ta

LITRG
forum member

Send message

Hi all

Just a quick update. HMRC have checked the line and found there is a fault on the intermediaries line. They have raised with their suppliers. They said they would let us know when its back up and running so i’ll post an update when that happens.

LITRG

J Bathie
forum member

Send message

Pleased to report I finally got through this morning - as it was a member of staff I don’t know (spoken to others many times) I got no response to the line being faulty thing - (she sounded like she was new and unaware).

Ridiculously pleased to finally listen to their on hold music again at last (for a very brief time!)

LITRG
forum member

Send message

I was just about to post that HMRC confirmed this afternoon it is now back up and running!

LITRG

J Bathie
forum member

Send message

Just to let you know - when I called again today the agent on the intermediaries’ helpline read out a statement regarding knowingly giving false info could lead to a financial penalty.

This is the first time that has happened - and when I reflected this the member of staff (another new one to me)  just kept saying - oh it’s something we do.

Anyone else had this?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1418

Are you sure you are being put through to the intermediaries team, and not to the regular helpline?