to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

blind persons tax allowance

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 873

have a client who is visually impaired and has asked for this to be transferred over to his partner.

would this prompt a change in the partners tax code? is there an easy way to check that it has been done?

sorry but I have never seen it in practice.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

Presumably, if someone’s tax allowance changes, their tax code changes. How else does the employer/pension provider know how much tax to deduct?

I’d suggest contacting HMRC or the employer/pension provider directly.

The tax code appears on a pay slip, if that helps.

I’ve not heard of a tax code being transferred before, but I am certainly no authority on tax.

Claire Hodgson
forum member

PI Team, BHP Law, Durham

Send message

Total Posts: 165

whilst not being any sort of tax expert, I should be surprised if such an allowance could be so transferred.  HMRC is your best port of call for that question…..

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

A blind person can transfer surplus allowance to a spouse or civil partner:
https://www.gov.uk/blind-persons-allowance/further-information

Sorry, not answering the question, but I would also guess the higher allowance must be reflected in a higher number in the PAYE coding, like Married Couple’s Allowance is.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Send message

cheers folks,

seems like most are like me in not really having any practical experience of it!

Kelly2k4wat
forum member

RNIB Cymru

Send message

Total Posts: 6

As long as your client is registered as severely sight impaired (blind), the blind persons tax allowance can be transferred to the partner. The tax code will be amended by HMRC, usually resulting in the partner paying less tax.

The partner should get a letter confirming this. The partner MAY also get a tax refund if any is due.

If you havent already, it may also be worth you checking TV License if client is certified as blind.

Hope this helps.

[ Edited: 6 Feb 2015 at 10:21 am by Kelly2k4wat ]
stevenmcavoy
forum member

Send message

Kelly2k4wat - 06 February 2015 10:18 AM

As long as your client is registered as severely sight impaired (blind), the blind persons tax allowance can be transferred to the partner. The tax code will be amended by HMRC, usually resulting in the partner paying less tax.

The partner should get a letter confirming this. The partner MAY also get a tax refund if any is due.

If you havent already, it may also be worth you checking TV License if client is certified as blind.

Hope this helps.

I was hoping an RNIB worker from here would respond!

thanks.