to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

It’s not stopped, it’s terminated

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

Perhaps it’s the after effects of the brandy butter, but I have just found myself a bit confused on the phone with the Tax Credits Office.

I was pointing out that various changes of circumstances were not on their system, because they had stopped the claim some years ago when they (wrongly, as it turned out) decided that she was living with someone.

The Tax Credit Office view was that the claim had not stopped, as it had in fact been terminated, and this is different.

I can see that technically a train stops at a station but can then move on to a terminus.  But when I was talking to the Tax Credit Office, I was using ‘stopped’ in the sense of ‘terminated’ anyway.

Am I missing something?

Happy New Year?

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

Maybe they mean “suspended”? I can see how a tax credit award would not be in payment while still existing - after all, someone may make a protective claim for benefit. So, if someone notifies an increase in income, the award would remain, but the amount may change.

I don’t get this “stopping” business at all. It’s hardly clearer than “cancelled”, which I also come across.

Surrey Adviser
forum member

Benefits and debt adviser - Esher CAB, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 222

I don’t know about the terminology but I’ve had “living together” cases where a claim has been ended & a final award notice issued.  After dispute or appeal Tax Credits then decide their decision was wrong & proceed to re-open the claim & pay the money which should have been paid for the period when it was ended.

So what is this - a termination, a stop or what?  I would see termination as being final - in which case it couldn’t be re-opened - but they issue final award notices & despite having done so they then re-open (often many months later).  Like a lot of tax credit stuff it’s a bit of a nightmare!