to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Disability Living Allowance and a motability car

Jane W
forum member

Community Officer, Age UK South Lakeland

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Would I be right in thinking that whilst you have an appeal in progress against the removal of the higher rate Mobility component of DLA , then you can keep your motability car? If the appeal is turned down then you would have to return the car and pay for the period you have had it without the HRMob. If the appeal is allowed then you are ok to keep the car?
A client of mine is set to have her car recovered on the 26th July , but I am going to see her on the 19th , and if we can lodge an appeal at that stage then her car should stay with her until the appeal is decided?

DoINotLikeThat
forum member

Warwickshire Welfare Rights Advice Service

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Hi Jane,

See recent Rightsnet thread on this issue. http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/3327/

Unfortunately it seems that Motability changed its policy in October last year, so that clients are no longer able to keep their vehicle pending the outcome of their DLA appeal. I guess you could try expediting the appeal (or requesting revision together with additional mdeical evidence) as someone suggested in the other thread and/or try negotiating with Motability direct. If I were you I would also advise the client to raise this issue with their local MP as well.

Jane W
forum member

Community Officer, Age UK South Lakeland

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Thanks , I saw this thread as soon as I had posted mine!