Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA revisions & call backs

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Hello,

Has there been a change of practice regarding DLA revisions?

I’ve had a number of clients recently who have rang DLA and asked for a revision of a recent decision (within the month deadline) and say that they have been told that they must have a call back to ask for the revision.

Call backs in general are not necessarily a bad thing, but my concern is that clients seem to have the impression that the call back is a compulsory part of the process, and some have been concerned about meeting the one month deadline as they have got the impression that the revision has not been requested until they have had the phone call. The call backs do seem to be from decision makers – and anecdotally clients seem to be waiting 2 or more weeks for the call back.

So far this has all been in child DLA cases.

Does anyone know any more?

Cheers

Jane

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

I have not heard of this and quite frankly it’s worrying and if the revisions are not getting lodged at date of call then it’s unlawful and also amounts to maladministration.  Revisions are, in my view, a complete waste of time often serving nothing more than to add three months onto to the period between date of claim and tribunal hearing.  I would encourage claimants to appeal decisions in writing straight away.  At that stage another DM will look at the case again anyway.

Sueky
forum member

Welfare Benefit Advisor. Vale Royal Disability Services

Send message

Total Posts: 8

Just to add my tupence worth.
I’ve also had this from two seperate clients. One has uncontrolled epilepsy and one has autism, both children in receipt of HRC & LRM which were reduced to nil awards on renewal. Parents rang to request revision and been told a DM will call them back. Again it is not clear if DM will call back to give verbal explanation of decision or if revision request must be made to DM.
Have advised both sets of parents to complete GL24 and go straight for appeal rather than wait for call backs which are already more than a week late.

On a similiar line a client has appealed an ESA decision (zero points at assessment) completed GL24 and has received a letter from DWP requesting any further evidence be sent to them first as they may be able to revise the decision and if they can’t revise they will forward any such evidence to the tribunal - how very kind of them!

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

In light of the recent move towards The Tribunals Service gaining more control over the appeals process, you get the feeling that the DWP is trying its utmost to wrest it back again.