Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

SF Funeral Payment - arrears of PIP as capital?

S Taylor
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Macmillan Caring Locally, Christchurch

Send message

Total Posts: 65

Can anyone advise if arrears of PIP paid 3 weeks before a patient’s death into his sole account would be disregarded as capital for a wife’s claim for a SF funeral payment? She has UC as the qualifying benefit so the only issue is the money the patient had in his sole account on the date of his death.  I have read CPAG handbook page 782 but it doesn’t give me a definitive answer.

Thanks so much.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3224

The PIP payment for the deceased person would form part of their estate and can therefore be taken into account in terms of the funeral payment as far as I can see. Can’t see why it would be disregarded I’m afraid.

S Taylor
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Macmillan Caring Locally, Christchurch

Send message

Total Posts: 65

Thanks Paul, I just wanted to check as it was arrears from a change of circumstances going back to November 2023 and not the normal payment. I’m taking CPAG page 782 as meaning, if the PIP arrears had been paid on or after the date of death then those arrears would be excluded from the assets? Have I understood this correctly?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3224

I think they mean that any outstanding payments of social security with respect to entitlement for periods before the date of the death but that are only paid after the death are disregarded.