Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC and “lawful and explicit consent” - has the script changed, or did I just have an officious agent?

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 188

I’ve just spoken to the Contact Centre and my client was told she’d have to answer 4 questions to establish ‘lawful and explicit consent’.  My client was able to explain ‘our relationship’ but not my ‘job title’ which led to further grilling, and numerous questions about whether she’d rather they just speak to her.  I hope this isn’t the new script!

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1966

I think they hold a competition to create the most obstructive form of words possible. Other members of UC office staff are in the background, stifling laughter.  The top prize is a Thank-You card from a Senior Owner.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 334

Every blooming time I call the UC helpline, they have a different script. Today it was just a crowning glory: “why client client needs help from CAB”- call handler would not move on without my vulnerable client having to tearfully explain why she needs help. Language barrier was not good enough. Finally the interpreter mercifully cobbled something up from incoherent client. The call handler then required explicit consent for every single issue we called about: reporting housing costs, claimant comm and RTI error. Utterly ridiculous. On top of it, we were disconnected twice, because this is now a standard when interpreter comes on the line- the line drops. Its getting so hard to protect clients from this ritual humiliation. I am in a wrong job, honestly. I think I want to be a vigilante.

Does anyone know if there has been a consent-script related FOI? Can we see what the call handlers are required to ask?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3552

I’ll make some enquiries via the stakeholder inbox…

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Andrew Dutton - 03 October 2023 01:00 PM

I think they hold a competition to create the most obstructive form of words possible.

I’ll see your “lawful and explicit consent” and raise you “we never speak to third parties”

BHCAC
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker- Bosnia and Herzegovinia Community Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 44

There is no consistency at all. On occasion they have disclosed info without client’s consent to myself- which is worrying, at other times they really grill the client- who am I? what specifically can the talk to me about? Why can’t they manage the claim themselves etc etc,  The DWP must provide the call centre contractor ( Think it is Capita or Serco, can not remember)  the Service Level Agreement of how to deal with third parties but they seem to ignore it most of the time.