to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

another goody from ATOS

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

client has been deaf since birth and is a BSL user. No other health problems. Found fit for work under WCA. Reason for 0 points under activity 8 - “hearing is likely to improve over time”. His DLA will probably now be removed on strength of the ESA85 (we’ve seen it before). It makes you weep!

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

It makes you want to scream - loudly.
I am actively encouraging all my clients who have an issue with the medical assessment to make formal complaints to ATOS and DWP (often overlooked when busy with recon/appeal).
I can’t remember where I read it but I saw a piece about how satisfied claimants were with ATOS and that they rarely get complaints!!! I am planning to do my bit to change that or nothing will ever change.

Chaos

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, CMH solicitors, Tyne And Wear

Send message

Total Posts: 186

Altered Chaos - 15 July 2010 06:42 PM

It makes you want to scream - loudly.
I am actively encouraging all my clients who have an issue with the medical assessment to make formal complaints to ATOS and DWP (often overlooked when busy with recon/appeal).
I can’t remember where I read it but I saw a piece about how satisfied claimants were with ATOS and that they rarely get complaints!!! I am planning to do my bit to change that or nothing will ever change.

Chaos

on what medical basis did the doctor think that? 

navy blue….

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

CABx have been invited by CitA to join in a study of ATOS medical reports - the idea is that when you do an ESA50 for a client you get their agreement to ask for a copy of the medical report whether or not they “pass” the WCA and come back to discuss it with an adviser. This is because ATOS seems to take the view that while there may be the odd dodgy report, most of them are pretty accurate. It should highlight local differences and individual medical assessors too.

If you are a CAB adviser check with your manager/social policy coordinator and try to twist their arm to take part in the study - it looks important. Came out in this week’s mid-month pack which we got today.