to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Schedule 2 Descriptor 16 Coping with Social Engagement

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 450

My client has been awarded 0 points in this descriptor as she can engage in social contact with strangers but not people familiar to her. If someone she knows appears she will avoid them in order to avoid questions about her parents. If she engages with them she takes to her bed for days, too distressed to face the world. Is there any leeway in arguing this point or does the fact she can engage with strangers mean that the descriptor is not met?

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Slightly different tack but how would she manage in the workplace? In most places of employment people become familiar to each other and if a colleague asked about her parents it seems likely to cause something of a meltdown. I imagine that the fear of this happening might also have a bearing on how she would cope inthe workplace

Could Reg 29 then apply or even one of the descriptors under 17 , Disinhibited behaviour?

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 450

Thanks for that, Pete. It’s a small town so the likelihood is that she would be working with people who know her. I don’t think disinhibited behaviour would apply as she puts on a brave face then crumples when she gets home, but I think reg 29 is the only way forward here.