to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Delays in first Work Capability Assessments

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

I’m just wondering how bad things have got… I’ve just run into someone who’s been waiting nearly 18 months for their first WCA. Are delays like that common now? I know a year’s not too uncommon but this presents a nearly 50% decline over that.

Quite gobsmacked of Tunbridge Wells!

DaphneH
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser, Bristol City Council, Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 49

one of my clients just had an 18 month wait too - though to be fair most of them aren’t taking quite that long - in my experience can usually get there within a year

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I came across a bloke who has recently moved down from the Edinburgh area who says that he has been waiting just over 2 years for his first WCA and that several people on his old street have been waiting longer than him. I was equally disgusted/gobsmacked of Halifax, rang Atos and got an appointment for January.

Generally though I’ve only seen a couple waiting longer than a year and most round here seem to be done within 6-9 months, sometimes quicker.

Reassessments on the other hand have slowed to a trickle, not that anyone is complaining.

Cometh March and Maximus we are anticipating a change of pace.

AndreaM
forum member

Debt team - Citizens Advice Southwark

Send message

Total Posts: 123

Most of mine take between 6 - 9 months, but occasionally longer.  Record at the moment is from July 2012 & still waiting, although I think there were some appointments set up and cancelled by ATOS.  And today a saw a reassessment MR decision regarding a client who completed ESA50 in October 2013 and went to medical in Nov 2014. She says her walking has deteriorated in between 2013 and 2014, which is why she did not put any problems on ESA50.  DM writes that ’ generally the first statement is the one that is likely to be most accurate’.

garym65
forum member

St Joseph's Hospice, Hackney

Send message

Total Posts: 8

I think due to Atos winding down and Maximus coming in, but Maximus may just employ Atos people for ease. seems they are employing lots of people at present, including the guy from the DWP who resigned a few months ago!!!!