to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

legislation.gov.uk

scarboroughcab
forum member

Welfare Benefits, Scarborough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 26

I’m sure I’m probably missing something here, but is there an easier way to view up to date legislation (as amended by other regs etc) rather than sifting through the first regulation (eg ESA regs 2008) and then subsequent legislation bit by bit on legislation.gov.uk?

I get frustrated when CPAG and DRUK only refer to ‘IS regs’ and not the year etc which means it takes me longer to get to the answer - any help/advice appreciated.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

at the moment* you can get consolidated versions of the regs via the dwp site @

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/law-volumes/the-law-relating-to-social-security/

* - although things are likely to change in the future -

DMA Leeds is now working in partnership with The National Archives to provide a new way for you to access updated social security legislation.

The National Archives is a United Kingdom government department and an executive agency of the Ministry of Justice. They are the official government archive and one of their roles is to maintain revised versions of all legislation on the legislation.gov.uk website.

DMA Leeds has been responsible for a number of years for producing the Law relating to Social Security and the Law relating to Child Support and we do this by a series of regular amendment packages that we publish on our internal departmental intranet site and the external DWP website. While this has served us well over the years, the opportunity to create a more accessible and user friendly product is something we welcome and will enable the legislation to be updated on a rolling basis making it more relevant to you.

You may have already accessed the legislation.gov.uk website and so may be familiar with how legislation is presented there. National Archives have, up until now, been concentrating on getting primary legislation (Acts) onto their website and consolidating them with subsequent amendments and also publishing secondary legislation (S.I.’s Orders etc) in their original format. Our involvement with them marks a new phase in the plan to get all legislation on The National Archives site regularly updated.

This note therefore is by way of an introduction to changes you will see in the way you will access social security legislation in the future. At the moment, social security legislation will continue to be issued on our site as it has been, but there will be a gradual transfer to The National Archives site over a period of time. As soon as we have some more information on the timescales for this we will put out a further note.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

I agree with scarboroughcab.

I am a frequent user of the legislation.gov website and was recently asked to complete online feedback on the site.  I made exactly the same point.

Perhaps we should all provide this type of feedback.

WarrenB67
forum member

FLDM DMA Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 13

As shawn set out, DWP is working with National Archives to migrate the social security and child support legislation that we currently publish on the DWP site to the legislation.gov site. This will be a step forward for users of this legislation as the new format will mean that the legislation is updated more regularly on a rolling basis rather than just the quarterly supplements that we currently produce. So the user will be able to access the amended legislation closer to the point of change. There will also be a “point in time” function so that the user can call up versions of the legislation from any date at which it was updated which is clearly an improvement over the “current legislation only” that is available now. To illustrate this please click on the attached link to see the Universal Credit Regulations 2013 which have been created in this new format where you can see there are already 3 points in time to view the regulations as they were on 3 different dates. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/376/2013-04-29?timeline=true

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

Warren,

Thanks for posting this. I’d wondered if the blue volumes would be disappearing into gov.uk (and so be lost forever) - it’s reassuring to know that something more sensible and useful will be happening.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

Warren:

Thanks for alerting us to the new format.  It really is a huge improvement.  Will the new format only be applied to new legislation?

WarrenB67
forum member

FLDM DMA Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 13

While initially it will be new legislation that you will see updated this way, there is a programme underway to get all the previous legislation included. This is obviously quite a large task and our current best estimate is that it could take up to a year to incorporate all our legislation into this new format.

Regards

Warren