Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Welfare Rights Rorke’s Drift: Hold it , hold it….hold it

1 2 3 > 

Mick Quinn
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 161

New regulations introduce ‘more gradual, controlled and measured’ start to transfer of DLA claimants to PIP

You could not make this up

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2009

We are advancing in a rearwards direction.

Mick Quinn
forum member

Send message

Introductory text:

The Secretary of State has not referred proposals in respect of these Regulations to the Social Security Advisory Committee, as it appears to him that by reason of the urgency of the matter it is inexpedient to do so(2).

Must have come as a bit of a shock eh?

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 873

anyone able to explain why this needed regulations?

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1972

I have an interest in the meanings of words, and how they change.

For instance ‘fair’ in DWP terms now means ‘knocks hell out of poor people’.

Now ‘controlled’ means ‘done in sheer panic’ and ‘measured’ means ‘oh noooo, we’re six inches from disaster’.

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

i think that new regs were required because original transitional regs had required all people who come under the ‘natural reassessment’ banner (DLA claimants turning 16, end of fixed term awards, changes of circs and people making voluntary PIP claims) to be reassessed from 28 October and now they’ve decided that people in those categories should be moved over more slowly.

cheers ros

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 873

ros - 23 October 2013 10:43 AM

i think that new regs were required because original transitional regs had required all people who come under the ‘natural reassessment’ banner (DLA claimants turning 16, end of fixed term awards, changes of circs and people making voluntary PIP claims) to be reassessed from 28 October and now they’ve decided that people in those categories should be moved over more slowly.

cheers ros

thanks for that but now I am slightly more confused.

does this mean then that anyone renewing after that date wont be reassessed for PIP now?

can it be decided on a case by case basis that an individual has reached their “specified date”?

do we just accept this good news and await a more general announcement about when the renewals will be asked to claim pip?

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

Begins to look like it’s case by case (or maybe area by area once the ‘providers’ can actually ‘provide’ the services for which they’re being paid tons of moolah)  - has this happened because Atos/Capita aren’t ready?

This bit of the reg is interesting -

‘As soon as practicable after specifying a relevant date in relation to any category of DLA entitled person, the Secretary of State must publish, in such manner as the Secretary of State considers appropriate, information sufficient to enable any DLA entitled person to ascertain the relevant date, if any, which applies in their case.’

And the Minister said more details will be published on gov.uk later this week. It may make more sense then. It may.

Mick Quinn
forum member

Send message

Begins to look like it’s case by case (or maybe area by area once the ‘providers’ can actually ‘provide’ the services for which they’re being paid tons of moolah)  - has this happened because Atos/Capita aren’t ready?

Can’t do that facy stuff to highlight the fact that I’ve cut and pasted!

I reckon your spot on with the why part pointing striaght at Atos/Capita. Check out this link to evidence given by Esther et al in January this year…oh those heady days when things were looking good and going to work like…like ...like a rolex bought of Del Boy

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmworpen/c916/c91601.htm

Check out Q98 to Q106…then check out Simon Dawsons job title….

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

Personal Independence Payment Policy, Design, Test and Assurance Programme Manager - lovely.

Is that ‘assurance’ as in ‘It’ll work, I assure you….oooh, it broke.’ ?

John Bott
forum member

Derbyshire Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 8

A quote comes to mind: ‘Quite simply, Captain. I examined the problem from all angles, and it was plainly hopeless. Logic informed me that, under the circumstances, the only possible action would have to be one of desperation.’

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Mick Quinn - 23 October 2013 11:32 AM

see para. 7.6 of the explanatory memorandum. Rumour has it that Capita/Atos can’t recruit sufficient assessors (one of our local Atos sub-contractors appears to be running a continueous recruitment process).

I wonder what will happen if that (rumoured) situation continues? The PIP & UC national roll out date walking off hand in hand over the horizon never to be seen again??

In the style of Corporal Jones (to the DWP) “Don’t panic, don’t panic”

Mick Quinn
forum member

Send message

Wish I could do that fancy cut & paste Peter!!

Julie Stuart
forum member

Macmillan benefits adviser - Edinburgh Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 39

I was a bit surprised to see a client this morning who had been sent a DLA renewal on an award that isn’t due to run out until February.  Ironically, she also seemed to have been sent the DLA form you get when you report a change in care/mobility needs as well, despite not requesting one.

I was a bit baffled until I saw the news item why she hadn’t just received a letter telling her to claim PIP but now understand it.  I’m based in Edinburgh and haven’t had a standard PIP claim get as far as ATOS examination yet and it looks as if the DWP aren’t expecting ATOS to be in a position to cope for some months to come.

Julie

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Send message

‘12.1 The Department is carrying out a comprehensive programme of monitoring and evaluation using a range of methods and sources and making links, where possible, with the evaluation of Universal Credit.’

Peter, you could indeed be right.

Anyone want to say ‘stupid boy’ to IDS?

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Having just checked on the gov.UK PIP info. there is no updated information (yet) about how the amendment regs will affect a specific claimant.

So how are welfs now to advise a DLA recipient who asks about making a supersession request / is approaching 16th birthday / current award expires after 28/2/14? Given that ‘natural re-assessment’ was to begin from 7/10 and then 28/10 and now the “relevant date” - Crystal ball, personal call to IDS?

I guess this means it will become a postcode lottery depending on whether DWP/Atos/Capita can actually deliver in a particular locale?

Damn, I’ll have to update our PIP training material yet again!