Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Duty to notify that you’re dead

1 2 > 

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

Just been reading the ESA40 notes that accompany the paper ESA claim form.  They include this:

“Changes you must tell us about

Other changes

You must also tell us if you or your partner
•  die
....”

For single claimants that’s certainly some duty .  Might be wise to draft a letter in advance with instructions to send at the relevant time.  It could be kept short, eg “Dear DM, I’m writing to notify you of a permanent change in my circumstances.  Please stop my benefit immediately or this case could come back to haunt you, literally”.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Many moons ago, when I worked in the customer services section of a LA, a gentleman came in one afternoon to enquire why his CTB appeared to have stopped. On checking the system, I discovered that according to the HB/CTB section, he had died some three weeks previously. Imagine trying to explain that one!

I still sometimes wake at night in a cold sweat remembering it….

John P. Colegate
forum member

George Thomas Hospice Care, Cardiff, Glamorgan.

Send message

Total Posts: 14

If this was Facebook, I would have “liked” this!. Hallowe’En is coming up… Whhhooooooooooooo…

nottsadvisor
forum member

Welfare rights - Nottingham City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 129

I’m sure ATOS assessors would think that the trivil medical condition of being deceased would not prevent one from working.  Lazy so and so’s, they lie about in graves all day…

Christine
forum member

Linkwide, Falkirk

Send message

Total Posts: 3

One of my customers was accidentally killed off by the DWP a few years back…..apparently took them 11 weeks to get his claims reinstated.
He still has the letter, framed, and used to take it to his local and ask them if they served spirits…..

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Well if you die in the assesment phase of ESA then Reg 29 or reg 35 cant apply. No health and safety issues there then!

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Oh, it would be a laarf to copy that advice back to them in a letter that read

Dear Slaphead

I am writing to inform you that yesterday morning at about 9:20 I perished in an enormous fireball when my Aston Martin DB9 was involved in a huge pile up on the M6.  I’m awfully sorry that I did not report this earlier as I was somewhat confused about my new found ethereality.  Indeed I tried pinching myself for verification but, would you believe it, nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  A fine state of affairs if I do say so.  Anyway, must go now, as St Peter is about to throw a party in my honour and the blonde in the corner keeps giving me the eye.  Well it isn’t called Heaven for nothing!

Love and kisses

Mr……..

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

Paul

I truly believe that unless you specifically use the word ‘dead’ somewhere in that letter the DWP would write back for clarification.

Chaos

Sandy
forum member

Thurrock CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 26

I believe that being dead would passport you to the ESA support group….

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Sandy - 28 October 2011 08:13 AM

I believe that being dead would passport you to the ESA support group….

.....although you’d still be expected to attend a 12-month check of on-going eligibility

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

“Paul

I truly believe that unless you specifically use the word ‘dead’ somewhere in that letter the DWP would write back for clarification.

Chaos”

You mean something like this?

Dear Mr Halfwit

We are writing to inform you that your recent disclosure to us concerning the status of your existence on this hallowed planet was utterly and entirely unconvincing and completely, totally and absolutely ineffective.  Words like perished and ethereality are highly conspicuous by their utter, entire, complete, total and absolute absence from our esteemed, reverend and holy guidance.

Unless you reply to this letter within the next half an hour and completely, totally, etc, clarify with immediate effect the nature and condition of your corporeality we will send a group of very large and unpleasant men round to your house/flat/bungalow/caravan/river boat/tent/hovel/cardboard box to have a word in your shell like.  You may also be asked to repay the pittance that we the tax paying beautiful people have deigned to give you.  Don’t be a stranger now.

Yours high and mightily

The Government

[ Edited: 28 Oct 2011 at 11:40 am by nevip ]
Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 770

This thread is killing me.

Altered Chaos
forum member

Send message

Paul….. that is exactly how I imagined it :-)

Altered Chaos
forum member

Send message

Martin Williams - 28 October 2011 02:51 PM

This thread is killing me.

Better get that ESA claim in then - support group here you come!  But beware they may determine you have no right to reside!

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

Chaos, I’m sure Martin wouldn’t let his untimely demise get in the way of a good legal argument.

Still, the ESA40 notes don’t require you to break the sad news in writing.  A pre-recorded phone message to the contact centre would suffice: 
Contact Centre: Hello
Recording: “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.  Like the regulations….Time to die!”

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Sadly the DWP cuts have meant that the Ouija Unit is going to be closed in 2012.  That leaves the only ‘medium’ of communication for this important group of ex-customers as Madame Adele and her spirit decision maker Big Chief No Entitlement.