to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Missing ESA50 questionnaire

starkey
forum member

Welfare Rights Advisor, Norcas, Norfolk

Send message

Total Posts: 11

Would anyone like to offer their thoughts on the following….

Several month’s ago, a client of mine was given a favourable decision at an ESA appeal. This was primarily due to the fact that the judge decided that as the DWP had failed to produce the ESA50 questionnaire (client was sure he had completed this), any decision other than to allow the appeal would make the process “unsafe”.

I now have a similar situation, where a client attended his medical examination, and was awarded 9 points under the mental health descriptors. However the major difference this time, is that the DWP state in their submission that the client had failed to complete/return the ESA50 form, but goes on to say that the the “Health Care Professional, has taken all of the evidence in to account, including the ESA50”.

The client in this case, is unable to remember whether he did complete the ESA50.

Do people think that the above scenario is likely to also see a favourable result?

Regards

Jackie

Apologies - posted in wrong area. If a moderator would like to move, please do so.

[ Edited: 26 Sep 2011 at 05:23 pm by starkey ]
Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

I think a Tribunal will have some difficulty in being able to consider the DWP’s evidence reliable given it has given directly contradictory evidence.  I think you can easily argue the clmt DID complete the ESA50.  The DWP have plainly stated it has been taken into account.  Further, how would the clmt get to the medical without completing the ESA50?

C18 02-03(IB) [a Northern Ireland decision] may be of interest.

File Attachments

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

Kevin D - 26 September 2011 04:45 PM

Further, how would the clmt get to the medical without completing the ESA50?

Just a thought - For IB/IS reassessment case the claim is not terminated upon non-receipt of an ESA50.

Chaos

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

It never was in all cases for IB either, especially if there was evidnce of mental health issues.

starkey
forum member

Welfare Rights Advisor, Norcas, Norfolk

Send message

Total Posts: 11

Many thanks to all replies…

I have had a look and it seems that completion and return of an ESA50, (whilst desirable), is not the be all and end all to the whole process, so long as the client turns up for the medical.

Now have clients appeal date (mid October) so will update with decision.

Jackie