DWP having a go at minorities

1 2 > 

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Attached letter from DWP re. alleged ESA overpayment states in bold type:

“You are now in a minority of people who have received money they are not entitled to.”

Seems a bit unnecessarily rude. What is this about?

File Attachments

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

It’s pathetic quite frankly.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

It’s a “nudge”, and it probably works.

The “Behavioural Insight Team” were working with government on this sort of thing. Here’s an item from their site about drafting letters that encourage people to pay their parking tickets:

... Another feature of the new letter was the use of social norms. The letter included the true statement that “The majority of drivers who receive a parking fine in Louisville pay it within 13 days.”..

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3781

I see that it also says: ‘Most people have already made arrangements to pay back their overpayment .... ‘

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

So you’re not only in a minority.  You’re in a minority of the minority.

So there.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Jon (CHDCA) - 09 March 2017 10:44 AM

Hmm, not in this case, it has really got my goat. This was sent to a woman with chronic low self-esteem issues who was doing Permitted Work.

I will write back and suggest that the B.I.T. change its name to Behaviour Under Limited Learning Stone Hearted Insight Team as it produces a more accurate acronym.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Billy Durrant - 09 March 2017 01:14 PM

Hmm, not in this case, it has really got my goat. This was sent to a woman with chronic low self-esteem issues who was doing Permitted Work.

I will write back and suggest that the B.I.T. change its name to Behaviour Under Limited Learning Stone Hearted Insight Team as it produces a more accurate acronym.

We really do need that “Like” button…

Uphill Struggle
forum member

Community Advice Team, Falkirk Council

Send message

Total Posts: 23

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 09 March 2017 02:26 PM
Billy Durrant - 09 March 2017 01:14 PM

We really do need that “Like” button…

I’d Like your Like!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

May I have a “like” button for the thread title alone? Good effort :)

So, an organisation whose accounts have been qualified for how many decades now is confident telling people that they are in a minority! Good solid start there. In reality they have no clue as to how many people have been overpaid and the phrases they have omitted are of course “may not be entitled” or “appear to not be entitled to” or “may have received”.

The nudge element is fascinating. Putting aside the general controversy about such techniques there’s much evidence that the examples given to show how nudge works are poorly evidenced and generally lacking in rigour. “Take about 30 seconds to rip to pieces” might be another way of putting it. There is some evidence nudges may work if they are accompanied by an incentive (like an administrative penalty for example) but in most of the examples given in connection, for example, to local authorities and Housing Benefit, it falls apart the moment any common sense rigour is applied to it. The claims made are often plainly ridiculous.

I’m not sure anyone can claim it works on any sensible analysis as o/ps are inevitably very specific to their own set of circumstances. So, a rise in the recovery rate at the first attempt based on the fact this letter has been sent out will likely encourage the delusion that this is a great and successful idea but such a rise could be equally attributable to a change in regs; increasing number of POs at appeals; increasing numbers of visiting officers; increasing numbers of fraud officers being used as VOs, a specific structural problem being addressed e.g. o/ps following the death of a claimant and so on.

For me this is the sort of pseudo science encouraged by people who spout things like

- vinyl is clearly superior to CD.
- statistics can be used to say anything.

Go down that road and, funnily enough, you end up with Donald Trump :(

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

But vinyl is clearly superior to CD’s Mike.

paulmoorhouse
forum member

Central and South Sussex CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

I’m sure Mike has statistics to prove otherwise….

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

But of course. Unfortunately this place doesn’t have an Off Topic forum else I’d go for it 😊

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

Mike Hughes - 10 March 2017 02:31 PM

So, a rise in the recovery rate at the first attempt based on the fact this letter has been sent out will likely encourage the delusion that this is a great and successful idea but such a rise could be equally attributable to a change in regs; increasing number of POs at appeals; increasing numbers of visiting officers; increasing numbers of fraud officers being used as VOs, a specific structural problem being addressed e.g. o/ps following the death of a claimant and so on.

Regression to the mean. Especially if the policy is brought in when performance is at a low point.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 10 March 2017 03:00 PM

But vinyl is clearly superior to CD’s Mike.

Paul. You might be able to help me with a problem I’ve got.  Whenever I drive over a bump, the needle on my phonograph jumps and I get a scratching noise.  I was using my iPhone to play music but i understand that it’s not as good.  I’m also worried in case the police stop me when I’m winding up the machine as I understand that using a hand held device is now an offence.

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Jon (CHDCA) - 09 March 2017 10:44 AM

I want to live like common people,
I want to do whatever common people do,
I want to sleep with common people,
I want to sleep with common people,
Like you.