to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Husband going abroad, wife staying at home

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Just wanted to check this as I can’t find anything that directly addresses it in CPAG or elsewhere.

Joint tenancy for husband and wife. Husband made claim for Guaranteed Pension Credit, he is main claimant with wife as partner. Gets housing costs paid through HB. He has some business to attend to abroad which will take longer than 4 weeks but his wife will remain at home.

What happens with GPC and HB claims in these circumstances?

hkrishna
forum member

Welfare rights worker - CPAG in Scotland, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 257

For PC see p1585 and for HB see p1579 of handbook. Means that if absence is going to be for longer than 4 weeks (unless the ‘business’ is something which permits a longer absence from GB), both should stop immediately. In that case wife should make claims instead.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Thank you. Sorry, don’t have CPAG book to hand today. Can I ask further, if wife makes new claim for GPC will this be paid at single person’s rate or couple’s rate whilst husband is abroad (I’m presuming single)?

[ Edited: 7 Feb 2017 at 12:00 pm by BC Welfare Rights ]
hkrishna
forum member

Welfare rights worker - CPAG in Scotland, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 257

Yes, would be paid at single person rate as he’d no longer be treated as part of her household. However, note that while his PC would stop immediately if leaves GB and likely to be for more than 4 weeks, if she claims before he leaves, then she can continue to be paid at the couple rate for the first 4 weeks he is away and the single person rate then until he returns. As he would not be part of her household after the 4 weeks, his income and capital would be ignored.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Brilliant, thanks a lot.