to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Universal Credit housing costs and disclosure: guide for landlords

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

UC Programme Team has recently issued a new document which aims to clarify what information can be disclosed by telephone to landlords - social and private, and customer representatives.  This seems to be in response to complaints from social landlords (and other stakeholders) about difficulty getting basic information over the UC helpline.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/549791/universal-credit-housing-costs-and-disclosure.pdf

Ali D
forum member

NHAS housing/debt caseworker - Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 28

The guidance refers to a template (at 3.3) called “Authority to Disclose”. Can anyone provide a copy of the form or point me to where I can get hold of one please.

many thanks

Glenys
forum member

Housing Systems, Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 206

Today received this reply to a FOI request:
” In response to your request,....
As a result of this review I can advise that I find the original decision to be incorrect. Your
request for a review is therefore upheld. The reasoning behind this decision is as follows:
We examined the Housing Benefit circular you referred to in your original FOI request of 6
August 2014. This document made reference to another ‘written authority to disclose
information’ form.
On investigation, we now realise this was incorrect.
There is no such document. The representative for an appointee does not need to use specific
wording in order to allow a third party to access information on their behalf.
Apologies for any confusion this may have caused you and thank you for bringing this to our
attention.
DWP Central Freedom of Information Team
e-mail: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Our Ref: IR 516
DATE: 30 December 2016
We will update our communications products accordingly.”

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/follow_up_to_vtr_3405_date_06_au

Glenys
forum member

Housing Systems, Leeds

Send message

By the way I don’t think they meant to say “representative for an appointee” - possibly “or” not “for”

David Jones
forum member

NPT Homes - Universal Credit Team

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Hi All

Just for you info….. section - 3.3 Written Authority of the Universal Credit housing costs and disclosure: guide for landlords has been amended.

Wording has been altered within the disclosure guide for landlords on gov.uk. The reference to the “Authority to Disclose” template has been removed and replaced by “…. the landlord will be asked to obtain a letter from the claimant giving their authority to disclose, which the claimant must sign”.

I’ve attached below a link to the updated guidance and the change is within Section 3.3 headed Written Authority of the Housing Costs and disclosure link

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/583678/universal-credit-housing-costs-and-disclosure.pdf

Glenys
forum member

Housing Systems, Leeds

Send message

David Jones - 23 January 2017 01:21 PM

Hi All

Just for you info….. section - 3.3 Written Authority of the Universal Credit housing costs and disclosure: guide for landlords has been amended.

Thanks David.
Interestingly, you can still find the other more general guidance (ie not just for landlords) “Working with representatives: guidance for DWP staff ” Sept 15- on the gov.uk website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/working-with-representatives-guidance-for-dwp-staff

and this one still refers to the mythical Authority to Disclose template!!