to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Remote Call Centres dealing with Benefit Query Calls

Mollyanna
forum member

Advice Team, Southway Housing Trust, Didsbury, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 4

My team have become concerned with the quality of advice given by call centres acting for the DWP.
We have had several calls lately where we have contacted the DWP for PIP and ESA queries and have been put through to call centres where the operator does not introduce themselves. Usually you get a name and which call centre they are based at.
The examples we have is that they answer the call with ‘Can we help you’
The grasp of the English Language is very poor. ‘Lost in translation’ When we have asked where they are they have said they are a remote call centre.  Even when on one occasion we asked to speak to a manager , the manager’s English was just as poor.
There is also no grasp of the Benefit System language and benefit regulations.

We are worried that the General Public will be experiencing this and will get misadvised as it is a very poor level of service.

We asked one call centre why they were taking calls and they advised the DWP had asked them to over excess calls.

This is very worrying.

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

This has actually been in place for years.  The DWP use private call centres to take excess calls which they can’t answer.  I think it’s an automatic process.  Yes I agree, it’s yet another shining example of the quality of service being provided to the public.

generalistadviser29
forum member

Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 24

Out of interest has their been a freedom of information request about who these companies are- and where they are based?