Organisation: Citizens Advice LeicesterShire
Minimum of 6 hours per week
Location: From Home
Deadline: 10 January, 2022
Hours: Usually 6 hours per week. Can be offered on a flexible basis.
Line Manager: R&C Lead (Business Development Manager)
Duration: Ongoing (minimum 6 months)
Please note: all Citizens Advice LeicesterShire volunteering opportunities are currently being undertaken remotely online due to Covid-19 restrictions.
What is the purpose of the role?
As part of Citizens Advice LeicesterShire’s Research & Campaigns (R&C) team, to identify and evidence common or unfair problems affecting our clients.
To undertake specific agreed research and campaigning projects, especially with a focus on Citizens Advice LeicesterShire’s R&C priorities for 2021 - 22:
- No recourse to public funds (NRPF)
- Improvements to Universal Credit
- Disability benefits
- Government debt collection
- Private rented sector (Renters Reform Bill in this Parliament)
- Modern slavery & human trafficking
What will you do?
Complete an induction and training for R&C, including GDPR,
- Carry out specific research and campaigns activities, as agreed with the R&C Lead, which could include:
- gathering and submitting evidence
- carrying out research, including surveys and working with data
- writing reports
- working with clients (e.g. sourcing and interviewing case studies)
- contributing to national campaigns
- helping to plan and support local campaigns
- creating materials for communications, campaigns and social media
- Attend local and regional R&C groups and forums (online or in person)
Benefits of becoming a R&C volunteer
- Make a real difference to people’s lives
- Learn about a range of areas such as benefits, debt and housing, and how problems in these areas can affect clients
- Build on valuable skills such as report-writing and communication, research skills, campaigns activity, how to engage with a range of audiences and working with clients
- Increase your employability
- Have a positive impact in your community and on broader society
What do you need to have?
You don’t need specific qualifications or skills but you’ll need to:
- be friendly and approachable
- be non-judgmental and respect views, values and cultures that are different to your own
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- be able to understand complex information and explain it (verbally and writing) so that others understand it
- have good IT skills, including ability to use a variety of databases
- be willing to learn about and follow the Citizens Advice aims, principles and policies, including confidentiality and data protection
- be willing to undertake training for your role
How much time do you need to give?
For this role, we can be flexible about the time spent and how often you volunteer. If you are interested in becoming a R&C volunteer and would like to discuss flexibility around location, time, ‘what you will do’ and how we can support you please contact us.