Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Son of BIP or malicious neighbours?

1 2 > 

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Has anyone come across this lately.  Punter gets a letter from DBU based on information received saying that we wish to review your DLA award to see if it is correct.  The letter then goes on to say something along the lines that the information could have been obtained from data matching or from a telephone call (although further information on that could not be disclosed), etc.

The first person who came across our radar was terrified and thought he was being secretly watched and followed.  Now I’ve come across six of these in the last few weeks.  All the letters are identical and I’m beginning to suspect that something is going on here.  Any thoughts anyone or is my naturally suspicious mind just working overtime?

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

You can tell the who the DWP investigators are, they have a BBC televison crew and that bald chap from masterchef following them!

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

Sounds like yet another ‘pilot project’. At this rate Ryanair will be putting in tenders to run JCP. Nothing seen in this area yet though.

Tonto
forum member

Middlesbrough Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 16

We have had two in the last 24 hours.  Letters state that the DWP have received information which suggests clients are fit for work.  Clients are asked to complete and return forms within 3 weeks or their benefit will stop. 

Since when did being fit for work negate entitlement to an in work benefit?

We have been in touch with the DWP and they say that some letters are sent at random but most are in response to a letter or call from a member of the public…..

Clients must make sure they get help completing the forms.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

A colleague has just produced a letter sent to one of his clients. It opens:

“Dear Mr…………

I am writing to you about the Disability living Allowance (DLA) that you are paid.

We have recently received information which casts doubt on your continuing entitlement to DLA.  We are unable to provide you with further details of the information we have received.  This is because the Freedom of Information Act, section 30, prevents us disclosing information provided by a confidential source.  The Agency receives information from a number of sources, including internal data matching, information from other public bodies and members of the public”.

It then continues at some length outlining the requirement to complete enclosed review forms.

Enough to scare the life out of someone I’d say.

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

It makes you despair. The stress caused to innocent claimants by random letters like that cannot be underestimated, especially where there are mental health issues involved. The DWP appear to have no risk assessment policy in place when running these kind of operations.

I once asked a JCP worker if they (for example) ever contacted a claimant’s GP to assess the potential for suicide. The answer was that the Data Protection Act would prohibit such contact. So, its OK to have legislation that allows all sorts of agencies to swap data, including a good look at your bank account, but when it comes to protecting potentially vulnerable people it’s all too difficult.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

For colleagues who haven’t yet seen one of these letters, they come with a form DLA80.  (Your client may only bring in the form and not the letter that came with it.)  The DLA80 looks quite similar to an ordinary DLA claim or renewal form, but is issued only when the DWP has reason to question whether the claimant continues to meet the eligibility criteria, usually as a result of anonymous information.

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

Just had a call about one of these letters, so must be going nationwide!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3776

if anyone wants to fax us a copy of the letter, happy to publish here ....  0207 247 4725;

suelees
forum member

Social Welfare dept, Stephensons Solicitors, Leigh

Send message

Total Posts: 84

I’ll fax you one

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3776

cheers sue ...

here it is ... see attached

File Attachments

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, CMH solicitors, Tyne And Wear

Send message

Total Posts: 186

probably malicious neighbours, it often is…

but whilst it’s a naff letter, the DWP’s view on the Data Protection Act is completely wrong in many regards, and so on ...

it is still better than a claimant suddenly having their DLA stopped and being pulled in for interview under caution ...

in one case i had, malicious neighbour dibbed client in for driving her motablity car, and fraud office followed her about and her benefit was pulled because, you guessed it, she was driving her car (there were some other bits and bobs that showed misunderstanding of evidence, crap video evidence, etc) ... didn’t find out the ultimate result as was made redundant from the firm….

WR Adviser
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Community Law Service, Northampton

Send message

Total Posts: 83

I just had a client who had such a letter.  She was only awarded DLA on 15 Sept, and got the letter two months later.  My client is sure that in her case a malicious relative has contacted DLA.

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

My one today was definitely a call to the hotline as same anon caller tried to scupper his Blue Badge.  He’s off to the Pain Clinic for some morphine next week, as the condition is getting worse.  Just spent 30 minutes explaining ‘it’s not just you’ (pity we can’t bill the DWP). He said the Blackpool number on the letter never responds too.

Ben E Fitz
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker, Manchester CAB Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 162

have just seen my first DLA80 (with accompanying threatening letter). I would like to know just what proportion of these are in response to tip-offs/randomly generated as claimed by DWP, as opposed to being part of a co-ordinated campaign to scare vulnerable people into abandoning their (usually) legitimate claims. The sudden profusion of them would seem to suggest the latter.

CorbyCAB
forum member

Corby CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 11

I’ve dealt with 2 in the last 2 months, compared to none of them in the last 2 1/2 years.

Pete
Older Persons Outreach Worker