Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Mortgage Interest - Housing Costs to 2.50%?

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

As I’ve read it From October 2010, the standard interest rate used to calculate Mortgage Interest payments will be set at 2.5% rather than the 6.08% which is presently used.

2.49 From October 2010, the standard interest rate used to calculate Support
for Mortgage Interest payments will be set at a level equal to the Bank of
England’s published monthly Average Mortgage Rate.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_188581.pdf

Now I couldn’t find the Bank of England stats but I think these are taken from them…..

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/graphs-base-rate-uk.php

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

Assuming that that is what the rate is in October, yes. Subject, of course, to the Finance Bill being passed - though they may be able to do that one without the use of primary legislation.

Wfamilies
forum member

Helpline co-ordinator, Working Families, London

Send message

Total Posts: 1

According to the DWP press release on the budget, the average mortgage rate is currently 3.67%

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/top-stories/#fairness

John Birks
forum member

Send message

thats still bad, can’t find it ‘published’ anywhere on the BoE website.

Welcome to the new boss, same as the old boss…. ‘To ensure that Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) is better targeted we will reduce the rate…’

How? Just how is that better targetting?

With the dual blow of the LHA rate ‘base line’ reducing to the 30th centile from the 50th it could be quite bad for property prices.

nick nicolson
forum member

homeless officer Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 50

As a Homelessness Officer I expect an increase in evictions. More work on a frozen pay and less pension.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2000

Any system which isn’t directly related to the mortgage interest payable will create some winners and some losers.  Those people who have tracker mortgages at below base rate will have been making a substantial amount from the current interest rate while those on seriously sub-prime rates will have done badly. 

It isn’t clear what the profile of mortgage types for benefit recipients is, as there is no particular reason to assume that benefit claimants would have been previously in a more risky group when they took out a mortgage and few lenders will advance to people receiving benefits.

John Birks
forum member

Send message

nick nicolson - 23 June 2010 11:51 AM

As a Homelessness Officer I expect an increase in evictions. More work on a frozen pay and less pension.

I like more work, less pay, less pension more than no work, no pay, no pension.

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

It is a big cut and I wondered what measure they would be using.

The nearest likely candidate I could find was CFMHSDE

or “Monthly average of UK resident monetary financial institutions’ (excl. Central Bank) sterling weighted average interest rate,  loans secured on dwellings to households (in percent) notseasonally adjusted”

see http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statistics/

( under interest and exchange rates-> effective interest rates -> household )

These are the latest figures…

31 May 09   3.59
30 Jun 09   3.59
31 Jul 09   3.57
31 Aug 09   3.58
30 Sep 09   3.58
31 Oct 09   3.56
30 Nov 09   3.57
31 Dec 09   3.59
31 Jan 10   3.67
28 Feb 10   3.67
31 Mar 10   3.66
30 Apr 10   3.67

There are loads of different series on the Bank of England stats website but that one does match the 3.67 quoted in the DWP press release. Looks like they expect to save just 10m this year and then lose 75m next year as a result of this chage - (? as a result of (big) expected interest rate increases?)

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

That seems to be the one.

I haven’t seen any reference to the 2 year limit that came in in Jan 09.  That’s going to start impacting repossions in 6 months unless it is changed.

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

Regs to implement the change from October 2010 are at

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2010/pdf/uksi_20101811_en.pdf

The new standard rate will be initially based on the August 2010 HSDE figure (in recent months this has been 3.66% or 3.67% ) - the standard rate will then only move if HSDE drifts by more than 0.5%.

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

The new figure is a weighted average used by the Bank of England which is not actually the average (mean) rate paid by all borrowers.  It’s actually less than many will be paying. 

Much of the mortgage market is shared between a few big lenders so the weighting reflects this.  In particular, this means that people with sub prime lenders who typically charge a lot more than the market rate will see a big shortfall.  To date repossession problems with sub prime lenders have been masked by the unusually high standard interest rate at a time of record low market interest rates. 

Even without changes in Base Rates, The weighted average can shift over time as people come off the heavily discounted tracker rates granted a few years ago and have to face higher rates on new mortgage “products”.  This means the weighted average may move slightly more favourably over the next year or so.

Of course, we can expect to see many more mortgage arrears cases, especially among the odious sub-prime sector.

Any guesses about what will happen to the 2 year limit on housing costs for those on IBJSA and the £200K limit for new claims?

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

From some of our modelling for a couple, the figures for a £100,000 interest only mortgage at 4.5% will be (with this year showing the 6.08% rate)

Emergency Budget Results  
2010/2011   2011/2012   2012/2013   2013/2014

Means Tested Job Seekers Allowance  
219.67   173.33   173.33   102.75

Council Tax Benefit  
24.04   24.04   24.04   24.04    

Housing Costs (inc. CT of £1250pa) 
110.58   110.58   110.58   110.58

I can’t see any government, in this housing market at least, wanting to be seen kicking people onto the streets.

I know that the SSAC have raised the matter, pointing out that decisions need to be made quickly as people will need to plan for alternatives if they don’t change / extend the rule.